Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tryitagain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2005, 03:32 PM
    Stuck-
    A horizontal rifle is fired at a bull's eye. The muzzle speed of the bullet = 670 m/s. Barrell is pointed directly at the center of the bull's eye- the bullet hits the target 0.025 m below the center. What is the horizontal distance between the end of the rifle and the bull's eye?

I need a little guidance - How to get to the answer- not looking for just an answer. I want to understand this one. Any assistance or tips are greatly appreciated.
    bcincal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 11:18 AM
    We should assume that this is a pure physics problem.
    Then, remember that horizontal and vertical travel of a projectile are independent.
    the distance the bullet drops takes dime which can be derived from the formula s=vot +1/2at2
    the distance is equal to the original velocity times the time times half of the acceleration times the time squared.

once you have the time the bullet spent falling, you also have the time the bullet spent travelling horizontally. Since this is a "pure physics problem", the muzzle rate is not slowed down by the friction of air, so you have the rate and the time, which gives you the horizontal distance travelled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck Tap [ 6 Answers ]

The cold tap in the bathroom no longer turns fully. It was never praticularly tight before but as of yesterday it will only turn about a 180 degrees. I've not been able to find a great deal of help using Google so I thought I'd post here. I've tried using some WD-40, but to no avail. Any ideas...

In love and stuck! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.. I have been dating this guy for about two months. We had met one night, but only exchanged names, I had thought he was cute so I passed the word on to his friend. Luckily, he felt totally the same and was surprised to hear I felt that way too. We hung out another night and ended up...

I'm so stuck [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya everybody Rite well lately my boyfriend has been so off with me its unbeliveable. I'm 15 he is 16 I had sex with him about 1 month and 2 weeks ago when we first got together then about 1 hour I found out my best mate sleped around his house with my boyfriend best mate. I felt really used and...

Stuck... [ 4 Answers ]

Sigh... I've never written to one of these things before, but the situation I'm in now is too tough not to look for some objective outside advice... I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 24; we've been dating for two and a half years. I love him more than I ever thought I was capable of. I know that he...

I'm stuck [ 1 Answers ]

I have known this guy since I was about 5, and I hooked him up with my best friend last year. They only lasted for a couple of days and after that me and him started getting really close and he told me that he liked me. I told him that I liked him too. We fooled around for awhile and then stopped....

View more questions Search