Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skayser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Remote for Hamton Bay Ceiling Fan not working - no wall or chain switch
    I have changed the batteries in the remote, checked to make sure the toggle switches are in the same position in the remote and on the fan, checked the electrical switches and still neither the fan nor the light will come on. Any suggestions on what to do next before just replacing the remote?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Does your fan have pull chains and/or a wall switch? Does your remote have a small red light the lihts up when the button is pushed?
    skayser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
    It does not have a pull chain or a wall switch. We cannot figure out where the LED red light should be coming from - we don't see a red light anywhere and I don't remember ever being aware of one when the unit worked. In the trouble shooting section of our directions it asks that question, but there is none shown on any of the diagrams of the unit. It is a Windward II by Hampton Bay.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Sounds like it is likely the remote. You can buy a Hampton Bay universal remote for $39 or an off brand for $29. Both should work and will require replacing the receiver in the fan housing.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Actually the Windward has a special remote, but it is more likely to be a receiver problem. In any case, since this is a fan with a lot of known issues, I would first get a voltage tester to confirm it is getting power. If it is, I would take the whole fan down, take it back to Home Depot, and get a different fan. Or if you really like it, exchange it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan switch replacement-chain broke [ 3 Answers ]

The chain to operate my 3 speed fan broke off. I have no way of turning off the fan so I flipped the switch in my electrical box to the room. I have marked the position of the 4 wires and am trying to remove them from the switch, however, they appear to be sodered. I read in one article that I...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Hampton bay fan came with wall remote but Fan is not operated from a wall switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I received a New Hampton Bay fan to replace an existing fan. The existing fan is operated by two pull chains. The new fan came with a wall control device. The problem is that the fan is not operated from the wall switch and there are no pull chains. Can I use a Hampton Bay remote with the...

Installing a pull chain switch on a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the broken pull chain switch on a ceiling fan. There were two black wires coming from above the light socket. Either way I attached them to the two black wires coming from the pull switch worked. Does it matter which goes to which if they work either way?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/Remote SWITCH WILL NOT WORK [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed all new ceiling fans in the house. They are all Hampton Bay's with remotes. The one in the kitchen and dinning room work by both the remote and the switch. However, when I installed the ones in the bedrooms, the wall switches will not work. There is a "red" wire up in the...

View more questions Search