Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VIC486US Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Lawsuit by Executor of Estate
    My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also claiming my mother had P.O.A. by deception. We contacted the attorney who did the will for this estate, he is wanting us to pay him a huge retainer to represent us in this matter. We asked him these following questions. #1 Can we sue for attorney's fee's and #2 Can we sue for deformation of character? He tells us we can not. I do not understand how a person can sue us without proof or cause. And I don't understand why we should not be able to countersue if found innocent of these allegations. We are absolutely at a loss as what we should do. The executor and her attorney is asking that our bank accounts be frozen, and all our other assets. Along with it. This will cause undue hardship, how can it be that we can not sue this executor if we are found not guilty in this lawsuit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 11:49 AM
    A law suit is not hurting your chacter, it is merely a law suit, if they are telling every in town and this action has hurt you finicially then you have a case for that.

Of course once the person died, the power of attorney ends, so you should have had no access to any of the persons money or bank account, so if you wrote any money at all out of the account after the person died, that was done improperly, only the administor of the estate can spend any of the money after their death. So if you wrote any money out after the death, that is what has to be explained and perhaps paid back, since after that point you were no longer authorised to spend money it would all go to the estate.

People sue people all the time, just because someoen sues you, is not grounds to sue them back, sorry it just don't work that way, if so, then they could sue you back again for suing them and so on.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Hello vic:

Being sued isn't grounds to sue them back. As a matter of fact, you weaken your case when you counter sue like that. Believe me, everybody wants to and lots of people do it. However, the court doesn't look sympathetically upon someone who thinks the courts are a shot at the lottery. They're there to be made whole, not get rich.

If you win, you could ask the court to award your attorneys fees. Depending on the case, the judge sure might.

excon
    VIC486US Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VIC486US
    My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, ect. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also claiming my mother had P.O.A. by deception. We contacted the attorney who did the will for this estate, he is wanting us to pay him a huge retainer to represent us in this matter. We asked him these following questions. #1 Can we sue for attorney's fee's and #2 Can we sue for deformation of character? He tells us we can not. I do not understand how a person can sue us without proof or cause. And I don't understand why we should not be able to countersue if found innocent of these allegations. We are absolutely at a loss as what we should do. The executor and her attorney is asking that our bank accounts be frozen, and all our other assets. along with it. This will cause undue hardship, how can it be that we can not sue this executor if we are found not guilty in this lawsuit?
    So, I guess the answer is USA is a sue happy country and it's okay to accuse without cause. I now understand why other countries call USA sue happy. I have always defended our country. But, if that's how it is I can't say I am lucky to be an American. It seems to me that things are more in favor of throw it against the wall and see what stick. Or I guess you could call it the shot gun effect.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VIC486US
    So, I guess the answer is USA is a sue happy country and it's okay to accuse without cause.
    Hello again, VIC:

No, but isn't that what you want to do by counter suing for nothing? I think it is.

If they don't have cause, they won't win. That's all. Pretty simple.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 01:51 PM
    And remember you have not given any "facts" of the case, often what you think is not case may be legal cause in court.

So you may want to be looking at that also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate Executor - mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I am the estate executor of my mother's mobile home, in a park that charges a monthly rent for the property upon which the home rests. I have not gotten far with the actual collection of assets, since I just became the executor 2 days ago. My question is this: While the home is for sale, the...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Executor selling real estate. [ 2 Answers ]

I am the executor for my mothers estate. The estate is very small and the will was filed as a small estate. The property is located in Illinois. My question is this: The property is a very small house in a neighborhood that has changed to more of a commercial area. It is not a desirable place to...

Executor of estate/trust [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away recently. My mother has survived him but she is incapacitated. I am the executor of their estate/trust. It is a sizable estate and I would like to gift funds to my brothers and their families. My father appointed my mother as his power of attorney and never updated it. ...

Executor of estate in another state [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother lives in California. I was recently informed that she has appointed me as executor of her estate. My father lives in California, her only child, but he has basically abandoned her. My grandfather passed away three years ago and my father took $15,000.00 of his insurance money to...

View more questions Search