Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Dec 6, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Price of wood
    Hello, I was wondering about the price of 10" wide x 3/4" thick primed boards to use for replacement of rotten spots in the roof eaves. Just basic material, nothing fancy.

What is the ballpark? Is $4/bf reasonable? Any comment is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thank you, h.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2013, 11:06 AM
    The price will depend a lot on where you buy. Most lumber will be priced by linear foot.The size will actually be 9 1/2'' by 3/4''.

In Home Depot, and the like, primed lumber is usually finger jointed unless marked otherwise.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Eaves are usually 1/4 or 3/8 plywood. Fascia is usually 3/4. $4 is too high. 1x12
    @Home Depot is about $1.50 BF unprimed. You might want to think about Hardie plank, it comes in 7/16 x 12. Already primed and will never rot.

Dec 6, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    The size will actually be 9 1/2'' by 3/4''.

In Home Depot, and the like, primed lumber is usually finger jointed unless marked otherwise.

Chuck
    Yes, the dimensions you have gave are right on, an exact match. Thanks! What is the price range then? Is $ 3.50 to 4.00 per linear foot reasonable for generic primed wood for eaves? I think Home Depot's prices are lower than that.

Dec 6, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Eaves are usually 1/4 or 3/8 plywood. Fascia is usually 3/4. $4 is too high. 1x12
    @Home Depot is about $1.50 BF unprimed. You might want to think about Hardie plank, it comes in 7/16 x 12. Already primed and will never rot.
    Yes, thanks for answering my question. Never heard of plywood for eaves; will see if this can work for me.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2013, 01:36 PM
    Maybe we are on differences of terms. In my handyman business I have never seen dimensional wood on an eave. Maybe it is an older house or regionally used. The eave is the flat part of the roof overhang, the fascia is the piece of wood parallel to the wall that holds the gutter. These are almost always dimensional, 1X boards. A 1x10 would be a logical size for an eave, I have just never seen one used there.

Dec 6, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Maybe we are on differences of terms. In my handyman business I have never seen dimensional wood on an eave. Maybe it is an older house or regionally used. The eave is the flat part of the roof overhang, the fascia is the piece of wood parallel to the wall that holds the gutter. These are almost always dimensional, 1X boards. A 1x10 would be a logical size for an eave, I have just never seen one used there.
    I believe we are talking about the same thing. Yes, it is 1" x 10" boards.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
    Learn something new every day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hand crank sewing machine, pearl inlay, gold trim, wood base, curved wood cover [ 0 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me more about this machine, i.e. who made it and when? There are no ID markings on it except a number 173008 on the base. I think the tension is via spring action. The pearl inlay are 3 roses in middle of metal base along with 3 leaves; there is also a scattering of shell...

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 1 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 0 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

I need a price per sq/f including paint for exterior walls. Stucco, wood, etc... [ 2 Answers ]

I have read different articles about fare pricing for exterior painting over the past few weeks. Very confusing... since there is so many different aspect to consider. Is there an actual GUIDELINE that would help figure out the fare price per square foot, including the paint, per coat or for two...

View more questions Search