Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjmsmith222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
    How to file sales tax as an Amazon seller?
    How do I find an accountant that specializes in online selling for small businesses? I don't know how to files sales tax and it appears to be very complicated. I sell on Amazon and ship my contents to their warehouses. My understanding is that I have to pay sales tax on items purchased from customers that live in my state (PA) and then also in the states where Amazon's warehouses are located. This is confusing and I need help as I am a new seller.
    Jason_AMA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
    Due to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, U.S. third-party settlement organizations and payment processors, including Amazon, are required to file Form 1099-K for U.S. taxpayer sellers who meet the following thresholds in a calendar year:
    More than $20,000 in unadjusted gross sales, and
    More than 200 transactions.
    IRS regulations require non-U.S. taxpayers to provide Form W-8BEN to Amazon in order to be exempt from U.S. tax reporting requirements.
    As a result of these and other upcoming regulations, the following sellers are required by Amazon to provide taxpayer identification information to Amazon:
    All Professional sellers
    Individual sellers that exceed 50 transactions in a calendar year, regardless of sales volume.

For more information, please visit: Amazon.com : Sell Online - Selling on Amazon - FAQ
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
    If you hire an accountant, you might as well not sell on Amazon, or sell on Amazon but do your own shipping. That way you only have to collect sales tax on shipments within PA. I can't see how you are making any profit shipping your items to Amazon.
    Or sell on eBay.
    You get a tax ID by contacting your state. It's very simple. You can do it on pa.gov. They send you everything you need to do, and if your sales within state are low, then you will only have to submit taxes once a quarter or half year, or even at the end of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How we make journal entries of input sales tax and output sales tax? [ 1 Answers ]

Sales tax has 3 terms No. 1- input tax 2. Output tax & 3 net Tax If the company has purchased materials from within the State that tax given is considered as input tax and if Company has sold materials within the state or outside the State and charged the tax rate then it considered as output...

Sales Tax vs. Gross Sales Numbers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I take out sales tax from gross sales?

Sales tax payable and the sales tax deduction in journal entry? [ 0 Answers ]

Sales tax payable and the sales tax deduction in journal entry? How to do the transaction? Thank you.

Does gross sales include sales tax? [ 2 Answers ]

Because sales tax from a restaurant passes through to the state do I include it on my income statement and then write it off as an expense? Or do I leave it off both sides (income and expense). Which is the more correct way to handle it?

View more questions Search