Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kram696 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2013, 01:38 AM
    Can you right off child support payments from statue of limitations?
    My wife was owed 40k in back childsupport she never received it and now the statue of limitations has run out (washington state) and the amount is now 0 can we right this off as a loss on taxes?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 06:42 AM
    No, as you are mistaken. If there is a court order in place then they have not run out. She is still owed the money. There is no such limit on child support owed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2013, 07:01 AM
    First, this is not considered a taxable loss. Even if she is never paid the arrears she is owed, its not tax deductible as a loss. Second, as cdad said, there is no statute of limitation on a child support award. What is making you think there is?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 30, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Do not know about the statute of limitations issue, but the non-payment is definitely NOT tax deductible for two reasons.

1) You cannot claim as a deduction the non-receipt of income.

And

2) Child support is neither taxable income for the recipient nor tax deductible for the payor, so a tax deduction is not an issue in any event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitations for child molestation in Michigan [ 6 Answers ]

I was molested for two years from 1990-1992 by my brother. When my parents found out they made him move to a different state with a relative. Now 23 years later he has decided to move back to Michigan. I am afraid and I want to file a police report and report everything that he did to me so long...

Child receiving SSI as child support payments does the child need to claim on taxex [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter is receiving child support benefits from her father who is on SSI disablity. Will she have to claim this on her tax forms as long as she made under 25,000. For the year. Also will her child support benefits continue as long as she is enrolled in a secondary school.

Statue of limitations on spousal support in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I am not divorced but have been separated for 12yrs. My ex did pay child support without a court order until the kids had grown. Due to his infidelity I have been on disability all this time due to severe depression and anxiety. Is there a statue of limitation on going after spousal support? ...

What is the statue of limitations for the age of collecting child support [ 8 Answers ]

I applied for child support in the IL for my son when he was 7. His father lives in LA. I provided all the information I knew about him including place of employment, parent's & syblings, city where he live, etc. The only thing I didn't have was his S.S.#. My son just turned 21 a few weeks ago. His...

Statue of limitations for child molestation in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

Back in 1998 two girls were molested but at that time cps said that they didn't have enough evidence to charge the person partly cause the kids were so young,between 5yr and 9yrs old but now that the kids are older and can communicate what happen better would it be a good idea to bring the charges...

View more questions Search