Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nortongal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
    Need help getting a room mate too move out
    My boyfriend and I rent a small house and have a room mate that we want out of it. Do we need 2 have our landlord get him to leave or can we do it ourselves?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
    If he is not signed on the lease then he is your tenant and you are his landlord. So you can handle it. Otherwise the landlord needs to be involved.

You have to give him proper notice to vacate.
    Nortongal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If he is not signed on the lease then he is your tenant and you are his landlord. So you can handle it. Otherwise the landlord needs to be involved.

You have to give him proper notice to vacate.
    Thank you for your answer! We gave him written notice that he needs to be out by Jan 4th, 2014. His response was good luck on getting me out of here, that he will stay as long as he wants... and will not be giving us his rent starting as of now. Can we move his belongings out of the house after the Jan. 4th date or do we need too take him to court?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortongal View Post
    Thank you for your answer! We gave him written notice that he needs to be out by Jan 4th, 2014. His response was good luck on getting me out of here, that he will stay as long as he wants... and will not be giving us his rent starting as of now. Can we move his belongings out of the house after the Jan. 4th date or do we need too take him to court?
    Y

You have to take him to court. Depending on what state or country you are in, you could get in legal trouble for "self-help" like putting his stuff on the curb.

Dec 4, 2013, 06:31 PM
    I would suggest you go down to the local Housing court or online and get the eviction process for your area. Then leave it for him, if he thinks you won't be able to get him out.

As AK notes, on 1/5 you go to court and file for an eviction order. A hearing should be scheduled and you will give him a summons to appear at that hearing. At the hearing you should get an eviction order with a date. If he's not out by that date, you then hire a sheriff to physically remove him.
    askme28 Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Dec 4, 2013, 07:20 PM
    You can do it yourself, but only if the roommate is not one one of the people that would just get mad at you for trying, and is stubborn. Good luck. :)

Dec 5, 2013, 05:24 AM
    You can do it yourself, but only if the roommate is not one one of the people that would just get mad at you for trying, and is stubborn. Good luck.
    Please don't give advice that will involve breaking the law or opening the OP up for a lawsuit. The only proper way to remove a tenant is through the legal eviction process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a room mate that's not on the lease just move w/out notice? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello group I was involved in a situation with a room mate / longterm friend "asked" me to be there room mate and my aggreeing to it. The thought sounded pretty nice besides we have been friends for over ten years, so we go apartment searching to only find out that she can't be on the lease even...

Room-mate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who has a roommate who is trying to kick him out but he paid for the time he was to stay there. The think is he is not on the lease what can he do because they had a verible agreement.

Room mate not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord W rents to tenants A and T. Today W got a call from A saying that she wants help getting someone out of their (rented) house. Co-tenant T told friend R he could live there for a while. A thought it would be just a few days. Now R has been there for weeks, messing up the house, paying...

View more questions Search