Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paul Bunyan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Passing a Liver Function Test
    Hi, I have to pass a liver function test in order to remain in good standing while on probation. I am 6'8", 270lbs, 25 years old and drink fairly heavily twice a week, abstaining the other five days. I work out a lot. My test is scheduled for 3 weeks from now. If I stop drinking now, will I pass the liver function test?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:33 AM
    What are the conditions of your probation? Alcohol prohibition?

From what I can read a liver function test is meant to test out how well your liver is doing not for alcohol use. Excessive alcohol abuse will be detected by reduced live function, but that is long and prolonged use. When you say heavily what do you mean?

Do you know specifics of this test? I don't think, if this is the test you're describing, stopping drinking alcohol will have an effect.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 08:36 AM
    I don't understand why you would have to undergo a LFT (Liver Function Test). That is different and an ETG or ETOH. A LFT determines how well your liver is functioning and has nothing to do with alcohol or drugs per se.

Are you being tested to see if your liver is functioning properly or are you being tested to see if there is alcohol or drugs in your system? These are different tests.
    Paul Bunyan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Maybe saying a "Liver function test" is a misnomer. It is a blood test to check for liver enzymes that show the use of alcohol.

CravenMorhead, the terms involve alcohol prohibition, but as I am also an avid weightlifter, I am also curious to know if any supplements that I take would effect the test. And when I say heavily, I simply mean I drink enough to catch a strong buzz, but not to the point where I experience a blackout, throw up or have a hangover.

J_9, what is an ETG or ETOH? They also talk about doing a urine test, but all information I have read on that says that 5-7 days of no drinking will ensure a clean test.

So far as I understand, the blood test is to check and see if I have been consuming alcohol. I am really just trying to figure out how long prior to the test I need to remain clear of alcohol. For further knowledge, I already take milk thistle as part of my supplements for weightlifting. Perhaps this might have an effect as well, as it is supposed to be good for liver detoxification.

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
    I think I understand what is going on. If your probation requires to be alcohol free than why are you drinking? You're still drinking to excess, and it will probably be caught depending on the test being used.

The safest is to steer clear of alcohol and actually follow your probation. The next safest is to figure out what test they're going to be doing and figure out how sensitive it is. There is a Urine test that is sensitive to about 80hrs. So anyting you consumed in the last three days will show a positive result. You haven't given us enough info to figure out what test is being used.

You need to abstain from all forms of alcohol for most of the tests. This includes hair sprays, hand sanitizer, and anything with any amount of alcohol in it. The brandy beans are out this year. You can either figure out the test and figure out how long you need to be clean for or just be clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to have a liver function test to get my license back. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.I'm 6 foot tall,weigh 80 kgs and usually drink fairly heavily.I've been sobour for a week and have been drinking a lot of water.could you please tell me how long I need to wait for my body to deliver a clean test.thank you.

How long I should abstain from smoking before a liver function test [ 0 Answers ]

Can you tell me how long I should abstain from smoking cigarettes before taking a liver function test so it will not interfere with the enzyme levels?

Liver function count very high [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is an alcoholic, although she doesn't admit to it. Doctor sent her for a liver function test. Test showed a count of 1 075. Is this very high? What is a normal liver count? What are the dangers involved?

View more questions Search