Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janejech Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Use cement or silicone to fill gaps between backer board?
    I have a few gaps between pieces of Denshield in the new shower we're putting in. Should I fill them with cement or silicone before I tile? We have plastic behind the Denshield backer board.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
    Fill them with Acrylpro or thinset, not silicone. Silicone will prevent the new thin set from bonding to it and the tile will be loose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board vs cement backer board for tub/shower surrounds [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub/hand held shower surround currently has green board (mold & waterproofed board) on the walls and is primed and painted. We are wanting to tile the walls, do we need to rip out the current green board and put up cement backerboard or can we put it right over the current green board? NAN

Can you paint cement backer board, then tile over it later? [ 3 Answers ]

We have put cement backer board up in the bathroom and plan to tile over it later. Can we paint it first until we have the time and money to tile it?

Cement board gaps [ 5 Answers ]

I am tiling in my shower and am in the process of putting up the cement board. My problem is that between some of the cement boards are gaps due to the walls not being entirely straight. The gaps are at most 1 inch thick. What is my best option to fill those in before tiling? Thanks

Cement backer board over vinyl tile [ 4 Answers ]

Is it OK to screw cement backer board over 12 x12 vinyli tile before applying ceramic tile?

Applying Redgard (waterproofing) to cement backer board [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions. (1) Do I need to tape the seems on the cement backer board or should I use caulking? (2) If the seems need to be taped, do I apply the Redgard before or after I tape the seems on the cement backer board? I will be applying slate over the top of the board to create a...

View more questions Search