Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1Heidi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
    8 week old maltese died
    I bought an 8 week old maltese pup. 4 days later it was not wanting to eat. On the 5th day all that it did was puke clear bubbly like stuff. I took her to the vet. He gave her some dewormer and a can of transition food that we had to force her to eat. She did not want it. She was drinking water. The next am she was dead. Any ideas of why she died?
    Now I have a dead pup. A vet bill. Also out the money for the pup. Any suggestions on what I can do in the state of WI?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
    Sorry about your loss. Did you purchase the puppy from a breeder? Did the seller offer a health guarantee?

Nov 24, 2013, 05:33 PM
    I went to someone's home. She said she brought some of her grandmas pups to her house to sell. I did not get anything from her. I notified her when the pup was sick. And when I was taking her to the vet and after the vet. Then when the pup died I contacted her by text again.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Heidi View Post
    I went to someone's home. She said she brought some of her grandmas pups to her house to sell. I did not get anything from her. I notified her when the pup was sick. And when I was taking her to the vet and after the vet. Then when the pup died I contacted her by text again.
    Did she offer to return your money?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
    You have no recourse. You bought the pup without papers, sight unseen, and you apparently didn't ask any questions and handed over money and took a sick baby. Was there no indication that there was something wrong with the pup, or the transaction? The whole litter is probably dead, from any manner of abuse or disease.

The best you can do is report her.

Nov 24, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Report her to where?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
    Unless the breeder who sold you the dog made you sign a contract stating that as of such and such date the puppy is healthy, you can't do anything. Reporting her will only cause a ripple, it won't prove anything.

Unfortunately that is the risk you take purchasing from a backyard breeder. If you want a healthy puppy and/or a breeder who stand behind their dogs, you're going to have to spend the big bucks and go to a reputable breeder OR adopt from a rescue/shelter.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Small breed dogs can be very fragile and if you don't know what you're doing, they can die.

The puppy could have died from a lot of things. Possibly pneumonia from your description, but it's hard to really say.

Next time you want a puppy, try a good rescue or shelter. The dogs will have been checked out by a vet prior to you adopting. Or maybe even skip the puppy and get an adult with a known medical history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 10 week year old maltese poodle isn't eating right and depressed [ 2 Answers ]

I brought my 10 week year old maltese poodle on Saturday and she hasn't been eating right and she's been sleeping a lot and been doing her "bussiness" everywhere and also isn't energetic I'm getting really worried about her please help :(

HI,my dog is maltese and he was with us for 18 months ,last week we gave him to othe [ 7 Answers ]

HI, my dog is maltese and he was with us for 18 months ,last week we gave him to other family but he has stopped eating and playing with children also so what should I do now ? Bring him back or leave him there for a while?

8-week old maltese puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need help with my puppy. She is a 9-week old, 2 lb. maltese. She has not eaten or had anything to drink for 3 days now. I am going to the vet this afternoon. They said to give her some time, because she could be traumatized from the travel to my home, she was shipped across the country. ...

16 week maltese pup wakes up early [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone my pup wakes up at 5:30am barking letting me know she needs to go out of course l let her out to do her stuff than when l bring her in she doesn't want to go back into her crate to sleep but if l lay her on me laying on the couch she will sleep a couple more hours. I know if l bring her...

15 week old Maltese won't eat after vet check [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone as you can see my 15 week old Maltese won't eat anymore after 2nd shots at vets. When l first brought her home from breeder she was eating just fine on Eukanoba. Ever since than its been a struggle tried sprinkiling cheerios on it that worked once than wet her food that also worked just...

View more questions Search