Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tennessee Dave Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
    Social security garnishments
    My Social Security Disability benefit is being garnished for because of a 30 year old student loan that in default. I have been told that there provisions for requesting debt forgiveness. How do I make application for this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Who do you owe? The government can't take more than 15% and your benefits can't drop below $750
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
    As far as I understand the law, student loan debt forgiveness (federal) only applies to those who have been paying on schedule. The debt is forgiven after 25 years.

Nov 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
    I have a 35 year old student loan in default. I have been in receipt of SS Disability Benefits for the last 15 years and The Social Security people have been taking 15% off the top for the last 15 years. In a way, you can say that the loan is being serviced. Following the world financial melt down of '08, my financial situation changed to the extent that my income, minus the garnishment,places me below the Federal Poverty Level. It is my understanding that there are allowances for a party in my financial condition to petition for and receive forgiveness on the debt. My question remains the same. Does anybody know to whom or what office does one contact to petition for debt forgiveness?
    current pert

Nov 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Yes, you have been paying for 15 years, but not 25.
    I found a proposed bill that is still in committee:
    H.R.1330 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Student Loan Fairness Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
    But it doesn't appear to apply to you.

I found this. You will have to do your own calculations unless you want to reveal all required info here.
    http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml

Nov 24, 2013, 04:23 PM
    joypulv... Thank you for your post. Not being able to contact you directly, I will be discreet with personal information. I am head of household, disabled, married with 1 minor child. Spouse does not an outside income. Total household monthly SS benefit is slightly less than $1,500 USD. Medicare Part B burden is $108.50.
    current pert

Nov 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
    You clearly fall in the group that could pay zero, but what isn't clear (to me) is whether you are going to be forgiven now when you didn't make any payments for the first 20 years. You are going to have to contact your lender, according to the second website.

Nov 25, 2013, 05:39 AM
    Thank you joypulv... following the http://www.finaid.org/loans/ibr.phtml site, I was able to get to [url=http://www.finaid.org/loans/troublerepayingdebt site and it had the necessary information. To quote verbatim, "Total and Permanent Disability Discharge. If a doctor certifies that the borrower is totally and permanently disabled, the loan will be subject to a 3-year conditional discharge. At the end of this period the loans may be permanently discharged. " I'm quite sure that I have met the requirements. Also, there is a financial hardship provision. Thank you very much for your help.
    current pert

Nov 25, 2013, 06:01 AM
    I hope you are right!
    Somewhere at the beginning of all this is a requirement that you have to have been paying all along. Gov't programs are always full of conditions. Let's hope I'm wrong...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my social security disability payments from Social Security can be garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I am on Social Security Disability. I was just served a small claims request and I wonder if they can garnish my social security benefits?

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

I need to get my social security card. What do I need to get it? I don't have a driver's license or a passport. I have my birth certificate, student id, and a school transcript. Is that all I need or should I have something else. Idk. Help me! :confused:

Social Security disability payments and garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

Are social security disabiltiy payments subject to garnishments for back spousal support or child support? I know that social security benefits are subject to garnishment but was wondering about disability pymts? Thanks

View more questions Search