Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joycile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
    Male cat surgery for calcium stones in bladder
    Himalayan male cat has always drank lots of water but raised from kitten in Florida. A great deal of calcium in Florida's water. Could this have been the cause for the calcium stones in thebladder?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 06:53 PM
    It's possible, but this is common in cats even without extra calcium in the water. No way to say for sure that the water is what caused this.

Once the surgery is done I would buy a filter for your water. You can get ones that you fill up and place in your fridge that are $20 or less. That will cut out some of the added things put into the tap water.

Good luck with the surgery. :)
    joycile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2013, 07:01 PM
    Surgery completed for calcium stones in bladder of male cat
    Lived in Florida moved to Tennessee surgery performed in tn. Vet remarked how many more calcium stones in bladder surgeries he performed in Florida compared to any other state hehad a clinic. Could it be the high calcium in Florida's water the cause? Has anyone else noticed this?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
    Most stones are calcium oxylate which is formed through protein and oxylate rich food. No correlation between hard water and stones, at least in human studies. However giving a cat soft water, even through a Brita filter, is cheap and might possibly help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking Holistic Type Cat Food for"Calcium Oxalate Stones in Bladder"(had surgery) [ 9 Answers ]

My 6 yr. old male, indoor, rescued cat Ginger recently had surgery where they removed several calcium oxalate stones from the bladder. Also, in analysis (at another Vet's Hospital) they found struvites. Complicated story as he was taken out of that hospital as my poor kitty was suffering for...

Bladder stones [ 2 Answers ]

What causes repeated bladder stones

Yorkie with bladder stones [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good "people food" diet so that I can stop feeding my yorkie who has had bladder stones and surgery twice in his little life, these "veterinary diets" that are full of chemicals?

Bladder Stones [ 4 Answers ]

My Miniature Schnauzer has a bladder stone and is awaiting surgery (I have a popular vet with a tight schedule). I have been unable to reach him today and need to know if there is anything I can give her for pain from the spasms. She weighs 25 pounds. (I KNOW! She likes to eat!) If there is...

View more questions Search