Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Clean-out installation
    Hello! Looking for a response from whomever is familiar with plumbing contracting. A sink hole at the edge of the front yard suggests that the old clay lateral sewer line, the one between the house and the city main, has to be replaced with C.I.P. and, in addition, a Y-connection and clean-out have to be installed.

How long does it take to do the job: digging, installation, etc. That is, how many hours should I be charged for by a contractor? The lateral line is about 5 ft. deep, 20 ft. long. Thanks, h.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
    Hi Harum

Sorry, but we will not be able to help you with this particular question as labor prices and material mark-ups are not the same anywhere you go.

I can suggest that you contact your local town/city hall and see if they can recommend a few reputable excavation companies. Here, the plumber is required for this type job in most states, but if you hire them, they will only go out and hire an excavating company (at a large mark-up to you) to do the work.

Further, you are not the first person to have this issue in your area, so if you promise to keep things, "off the record" the people at the town/city clerks' office can probably hook you up with the guys that do this most often in your area (i.e. the best price, too).

If you take this advice, I probably just saved you a couple thousand just in the plumber's mark-up off the excavator...;)

Good luck!

Mark

Nov 22, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Harum

Good luck!

Mark
    Thanks! This is helpful. Still, looking for an answer to the question: how many hours would replacement of a sewer lateral (5 ft. deep, 15-20 ft. long) take?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
    In addition to Mark's advice....

there is way too many variables to establish correct price for the sewer replacement work. I would definitely hire somebody who knows what he is doing - preferably a licensed plumber. Call several licensed plumbers for free estimate, ask lots of questions and have them to type up and submit to you a detailed estimate. Three estimates should give you good idea how much is such a job worth. Select the one you feel most comfortable with - and award the contract. Advice: Sewer replacement work is all about labor and very little about materials. See if you can negotiate the price down a bit. Let us know how you did. Back to you. Milo
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Still, looking for an answer to the question: how many hours would replacement of a sewer lateral (5 ft. deep, 15-20 ft. long) take?
    Like I said, there is no way we can answer that.

Follow the advice as presented above... ;)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
    I'll take a wild guess at 4 hours @ 150/hr to excavate, depending on access, large trees, overhead wires, etc, and slightly less to backfill, depending on how nice you want it and how tamped down. So maybe about $1100.
    "Don't quote me!"
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Definitely a WILD guess, Joypulv... definitely!
    current pert

Nov 23, 2013, 12:57 PM
    I couldn't help it! I tried to stay out of it!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
    I understand...

Tell you what, I'll match your wild guess with one of my own... somewhere around $5000.00 or so... at least in my area!

And now Harum better understands why we don't usually throw prices out...LOL!!
    current pert

Nov 23, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Why 5K? Are 2 men and a backhoe 150/hr where you are? Times 33 hours?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Joypulv, if you know anything about running a contracting business you would know that there isn't a legitimate excavating company that will bid a job like this based on the hour. There is also no plumbing contractor that would either... too many unknowns. There are also permit costs, inspections, testing requirements, etc., never mind delivery and pick up of the excavating equipment.

Anyway, you and I have clearly demonstrated exactly why we do not offer GUESSES on jobs like this or any other kind on the plumbing page. As I suggested in the beginning of the thread, labor costs and conditions under which jobs are done vary too much city to city, state to state, and county to county, etc.

The only helpful answer here is the original answer me and Milo presented to Harum...get three estimates from local companies.

Nov 25, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'll take a wild guess at 4 hours @ 150/hr to excavate, depending on access, large trees, overhead wires, etc, and slightly less to backfill, depending on how nice you want it and how tamped down. So maybe about $1100.
    "Don't quote me!"
    Thank you! This is what I was looking for -- several hours. Meaning, not several days or under one hour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge to clean new construction home 1200 sq ft./ final clean [ 7 Answers ]

I'm bidding to clean a new construction home 1200 sq ft for final clean-up. How much do I charge? I did a walk through the house and there is tape on the edges of carpet as well as clear plastic cover which seals the top of carpet to be removed, labels on windows, appliances, bathtubs, and...

Cost to clean a therapist office building, 6500 sq. feet , construction clean-up? [ 0 Answers ]

Building will have q steam room , mens and women's locker room, showers , sauna, cardio machines, therapy tables , two offices, etc. like a mini gym. How much to charge per square foot, how often to clean. They are taking my recommendations, and want to be around average. This is the first of 22...

Two clean record checks in recently and today it's not clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm a nursing student and I graduate in 10 days and need a clean record check! Which in the past 3 years I have had two come back clean. Today I received a record check and it didn't come back clean strange! I have called everyone I can think to call and no help!! I was convicted with theft...

How Do You Clean a Toilet Bowl That Seems Impossible to Clean? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, All! Okay, I let my upstairs toilet get so bad that it now seems impossible to clean. I know, pretty revealing. But, I'm a guy with a really big home and I live by myself. We've tried the usual toilet bowl cleaners that people can find in grocery and home maintenance supply stores. Also,...

View more questions Search