Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joelmchan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
    I have low voltage one one of the 120 line of a 240 voltage supply why?
    I have 240 supply coming from my supplier. 3 wires 120 volts , 120 volts, and neutral. As soon as I turn on my breaker one of the 120 line goes low to something like 65 volts and the other lines goes high to 170 volts. Why is that?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
    How are you taking you voltage measurements?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 21, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Help us a little, please.

By supplier, do you mean the electric utility company? Are you measuring the voltage at a main service panelboard in a residence?

Have you contacted the power company to have them verify the connections and the supply side of their equipment?

Have you shut all of the breakers off in the panelboard and then turned the main breaker on so that you can see if any one particular branch circuit is causing the problem?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
    This type of imbalance is typically a loose neutral problem...
    Before you damage anything call an electrician...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Low voltage or line voltage? [ 3 Answers ]

I have electric ceiling heat. How can I tell whether my thermostats are low voltage (24 volt) or line voltage (120 or 240 volt)?

Difference between supply voltage and input voltage? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider a Common Emitter amplier circuit, there'll be two inputs present in which one is applied at the base of the transistor and other at collector I want to know 1)what is difference between that two voltages ? 2)need to use both in the same circuit? ...

Why do we get low voltage power supply? [ 1 Answers ]

In India, appliances are 220 volts enabled. However, many Electricity Boards often provide mains power at less than 220 volts. What are the possible reasons? Is it because of technical inefficiency? On the consumer end, if the "actual load" is higher than the "connected load" (as shown by the...

View more questions Search