Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Strange booster pump
    OK, here's one for you. I was looking at a booster pump setup today. It is basically done this way. Water comes from the water line at about 35 psi. It is run through a pump and then through a pressure regulator set at 65 psi. Now here is the strange part. The pump runs constantly. There are two pressure gauges, one before the regulator and one after. The one after is reading 65, but the one before is reading, and I kid you not, 175 psi. When I read that, I wanted to run for cover! The pump just basically is pumping against itself hour after hour. It is, by the way, a fairly large pump. There is a CV, thankfully, to prevent water from going backwards into the feed lines. It seems that the plan is to just run the pump at 175 psi 24/7. Now, am I missing something here? BTW, this system is brand new. Been up and running for a week or so.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Are you saying you are getting 175 psi from the street?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Yeah, John... more info. needed.

City or well water?
    Booster brand name and model number?

As you know, booster pumps should not run "constantly". I'd probably be on the phone with the technical support department of the booster pump... ;)
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2013, 07:41 PM
    City water. Getting 35 from the street. AFTER the pump but BEFORE the regulator, the gauge is reading 175. It goes street to pump to regulator to building. I've just never heard of a pump running non-stop regardless of demand, and at 175# steady pressure. Only goes down for a second or two when a toilet is fllushed. BTW, it is not my pump. Saw it today at another place.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 21, 2013, 05:36 AM
    Certainly doesn't sound right to me, but I've only installed one booster pump... ;)

If you are concerned then call the manufacturer of the pump and talk with tech. support... they'll have the right answer here.

Have a good day!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
    Does this booster pump have a control box? Back to you, Tom
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2013, 06:14 PM
    No control box. When they first set it up, it had a pressure switch and was running through a large pressure tank, but for some reason they changed it. Found out this morning that it is on a timer. Comes on early in morning, and goes off around five or so. But the pump was not on today. I really wanted to talk with the plumber and see what the idea is, but he left before I could get to him. More tomorrow.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2013, 07:26 PM
    You are overworking the pump, If this were my call I would replace the timer with a pressure switch set at 50 PSI. Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2014, 07:28 PM
    To catch you guys up on the pump, it is still working. Comes on at 7:00 a.m. and goes off at 4:00. Still pumping at 170 and using a press reg to step down to 65. I'm going to try and post a pic of this thing in the next couple of days.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 11:21 AM
    When they first set it up, it had a pressure switch and was running through a large pressure tank
    I can't imagine a booster pump not being on a pressure switch. Neither can I imagine one being on a timer.

I think the pressure tank is the key. Without it that pump won't last long. With out a pressure switch the pump will run constantly. With a pressure switch and no tank it will constantly be switching on and off.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2014, 05:38 PM
    No tank. The pump runs steadily at 165# or so for 9 hours a day. Going to be an interesting experiment.

Jan 7, 2014, 07:38 PM
    Going to be an interesting experiment.
    Yes. Just because you and Mark are geniuses, doesn't mean all plumbers are smart.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2014, 07:06 PM
    Just to catch everyone up, the pump is still running strong. I will have to admit that is does its job because I can notice a real difference in pressure once we get past 4:00 and the pump cuts off, leaving us with just the water system pressure.

Oct 27, 2014, 05:09 AM
    Thanks for the update. I have a question though. Back in post #4 you said.
    Only goes down for a second or two when a toilet is fllushed.
    What kind of building is this and what size pipes are used. Why would anyone need 175 pounds of pressure? Seems a little strange that flushing a toilet would cause a pressure drop at 175#.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2014, 06:25 PM
    This is a school. 2" pipe. The pump is pumping at 165 or so, but a PRV steps it down to 65. When I say it goes down, I mean by 5# or so, so nothing major. I suppose the pump is made to do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Booster Pump [ 4 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a question regarding booster pump (2hp, 50 Hz). Let say I install it after the water meter, would it do any harm to neighbor? Would I rob the water from main supply to the other neighbor house? I'm thinking of installing the pump after a 60 gallon tank which the tank would be...

How to calculat for Diaphragm tank V for a booster pump station include a Jocky pump? [ 0 Answers ]

How to calculate the Diaphragm tank "V" for a booster pump station include a 4 duty pumps and Jockey pump "Q 1p" each pump = 40 L/s. "Qj" Jockey Pump = 10.5 L/s. Can calcaulate based on each Q ? ("Q1p" , "Q4p" or "Qj")

What is the difference between a house booster pump and a swallow well pump [ 3 Answers ]

The city water pressure is low on my street. I went to a local hardware store for a booster pump. The salesperson said that all I needed was a swallow well pump, tank, pressure switch, two shut off valves and a check valve. The tank and switch go on the pressure side. The shut off valves go before...

Pool pump and booster pump timer diagrams [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a diagram that shows how to hookup two intermatic timers to the pool pump and the booster pump. Running 220volts

View more questions Search