Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CharlesLewis Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Cordless phone hissing several seconds before I can hear
    I have a dual set cordless phone that we have used for close to a year. The base is in the bedroom and the second phone is on my sunporch. In the last week or two, I have noticed that when I answer a call on the sunporch, I get a hissing sound for several seconds before I can hear the party calling. The party can hear me fine if I tell them to wait. I do have a wireless network, but I've had that for several months with no problems until now.

I can swap receivers and still have the problem, so I am GUESSING the problem is not in the handset or battery. I have also tried testing this by calling the house phone with my cell phone and can't duplicate it that way. Before I go out and buy new phones, I wonder if you can suggest any other possible solutions (after all, there's no guarantee that a new phone would not have the same problem).

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I would try killing the power to my wireless and my computer to see if they are creating interference. Most hissing is some sort of interference and it could even come from your neighbors house. Anyone pulling power from the same transformer can be the problem.

Mar 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I would try killing the power to my wireless and my computer to see if they are creating interference. Most hissing is some sort of interference and it could even come from your neighbors house. Anyone pulling power from the same transformer can be the problem.
    Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and let my daughter call to see what happens.

Mar 31, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesLewis
    Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and let my daughter call to see what happens.
    Well, she called today and I couldn't duplicate the problem. It seems to come and go, which really confuses me. Any further suggestions?

Mar 31, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Could still be your wireless or something in your neighbor's house. Whatever caused the interference just wasn't in operation at the time. Not to worry, like all home owners, we know the problem will return later. Good luck
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I was having the same problem but realized it only happens when my caller is using a broadband service like Vonage so I think it's on the other end, not mine.

Just a thought...

Didi

Mar 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
    As to wireless, I have a 5.8 GHz phone, which is SUPPOSED to avoid those problems. If the wireless is the problem, then I assume a new phone wouldn't help.

Didi, I get the problem from people who don't have Vonage or any other such service. My daughter uses both a cordless and a cell phone, and I've gotten it on both. I also remember a friend called from his furniture store. The problem has to be at my end.

Thanks for your ideas. If I can figure out any pattern, I'll let you know.

Mar 31, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Yep, they are supposed to avoid static problems but not always. If you carefully read the literature that came with your phone you'll see that by using your phone you agree to accept the problem of interference.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 19, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Are you only having the issue on the one cordless phone or does it seem to do it on corded phones or any phone you use there. If it happens on all phones, it almost sounds like there is a bad ground on the phone system side. It seems to take a second to catch a good ground and make contact. I know this is no help, but it could help narrow the issue down.

Apr 22, 2007, 12:15 PM
    It happens with the phone I have on the sunporch (not the one on the base). However, I can swap phones and I still have it there, so it is not the specific receiver. It could be the base itself not sending the connection out there in time, but I don't know about that.

The good news is that it hasn't happened in several weeks. I haven't made any changes to my setup, so perhaps the neighbors were having a party?
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 23, 2007, 06:43 PM
    It very well could be interference from the glass of a sunroom. Most wireless suppliers recommend that wireless units are not maintained near windows. I know that sounds odd, but the glass will at times act as a mirror and deflect signals and at other times it will allow interference from outside sources. We had a similar issue with engenius high power cordless once. I spent a lot of time studying this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cordless phone rings once, goes dead, and knocks dsl off line [ 0 Answers ]

I have only cordless phones in my home. Recently, I've noticed the following problem. When someone dials my home number, certain calls (maybe one out of every 5 or so) ring once (on both the caller's end and in the house) and then immediately disconnect. I think that this may also be related in...

Outside Blower kicks on for 5 seconds then goes off for 10 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I've looked all over this forum for something like this, but nothing I've see quite nails my problem so If I missed it, sorry. Here it goes... My outside blower comes on for about 5 seconds when my thermostat activates for the heat. With furnace still on the blower shuts off for 10 seconds and...

Problems with Panasonic KX TG2730 Cordless Phone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have this phone over two years. I never faced any problem. Recently it is giving me trouble in ringing only once, after that it gets discarded after 10 secs. So by the time I reach the phone it gets disconnected. All the callers are complaining that I should dump this phone! That's why I'm...

Panasonic digital gigarange cordless phone [ 1 Answers ]

I have the above mentioned telephone receiver which had its "Dial" Locked and the user even forgot the password they used to lock so we cannot unlock the Dial.The question is :How do I unlock this phone so that we can sue it once again to make calls? I have tried to look for a CMOS battery inside...

Memory Reset for Rechargeable Panasonic Cordless Phone Battery [ 0 Answers ]

I was recently experiencing terrible performance of the handset battery for my cordless Panasonic KX-TG2730S (or KX-TG2730) telephone. I searched the user manuals and the Panasonic website for a solution but could not find one. So I called Panasonic at 1-800-211-7262 to see if there was anything...

View more questions Search