Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sudha02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 11:22 AM
    ITIN for L1 dependent Kid
    Hi,
    I have a L1 Visa and came here in April 2012 on a intracompany transfer and my wife and son joined me on December 2012 in L2 Visa. I have to go back to my home country in January-2014. I have the following questions

This Year 2013, I got SSN for my wife and filed my Tax return. When filing tax my kid didn't complete the 90 days of his stay here so couldn't file ITIN for him this year.
    For the coming year 2014, I need to file ITIN for my kid.
    Please let us know whether I can apply for it now itself or I have to wait till I get my W2 form in Jan-2012. My W2 form will come only in mid or last week of Jan-2014 and I might have to go back to my home country in may be Jan end or feb 1st week.
    Hence I thought I would apply for ITIN for son now. Is this okay. If yes, what is the documentation I need to support while filling up the W7 form.
    Do I need to submit original documents (like passport ) or a photocopy will suffice?

Nov 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Where to get Notarized photocopies of Passport for filing ITIN for L1 dependent KID
    How/when/where to get notarized photocopies for filing ITIN for L1 dependent KID. Since my kid is going to hometown on jan 2014 I need to file ITIN. Incase if he is not present by the time I get my W2 form. I need to get notariszed photocopies. In that case where to get my kids passport and Visa Notorized and from whom? Please suggest me.

Nov 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Notorized Passport copies in Aurora,IL
    Where can I find the Notorized company in Aurora,IL for getting my sons passport notorized and to file ITIN
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Your bank will have a notary.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 12:34 PM
    The IRS no longer accepts notarized photocopies of the passport. You must:

1) Get the color photocopy CERTIFIED as authentic by the Indian government. This can be done by the Indian consulate in either San Francisco, Chicago, Houston or New York, or by the embassy in Washington, D.C. If done in India, the Indian government office that issued the passport must issue the certificate of authentication (NOT an apostille).

2) Mail in the actual passport with the tax return and Form W-7. NOT recommended, as the IRS may lose the passport.

3) Go to a Tax Assistance Center (TAC) which can certify the passport as authentic and accept the Form W-7 and tax return. I would need to know your current location to tell you which TAC to use, as only a select few actually certify passports. You can also go to Internal Revenue Service to determine which TACs certify passports.

The last option is the easiest, but may NOT be feasible if you must leave before the IRS starts accepting tax returns, which this year did not start until 21 January 2013.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 12:35 PM

1) Get the color photocopy CERTIFIED as authentic by the Indian government. This can be done by the Indian consulate in either San Francisco, Chicago, Houston or New York, or by the embassy in Washington, D.C. If done in India, the Indian government office that issued the passport must issue the certificate of authentication (NOT an apostille).

2) Mail in the actual passport with the tax return and Form W-7. NOT recommended, as the IRS may lose the passport.

3) Go to a Tax Assistance Center (TAC) which can certify the passport as authentic and accept the Form W-7 and tax return. I would need to know your current location to tell you which TAC to use, as only a select few actually certify passports. You can also go to Internal Revenue Service to determine which TACs certify passports.

The last option is the easiest, but may NOT be feasible if you must leave before the IRS starts accepting tax returns, which this year did not start until 21 January 2013.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 12:35 PM

taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Nov 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
    ATE is very patient ;-)
    You asked the same question three times already and always got a great answer from ATE.

IRS offices in IL are listed here:
    Contact My Local Office in Illinois
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post

The OP is East Indian; by calling him 'Indian' you indicate native Indian, or Amerind. Please don't do that. It is not proper and confusing.

Nov 19, 2013, 09:43 PM
    I don't see any problem here. How else would you call someone from India or the Indian government?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2013, 11:13 PM
    Actually, American Indians are correctly called native Americans, but thank you, TaxForAliens, for your defense of my use of India's proper name.
    Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 04:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    I don't see any problem here. How else would you call someone from India or the Indian government?
    Not a problem. They are normally called EAST Indian on this continent to differentiate between native Indian. Do you not see where the confusion would come from?

Nov 20, 2013, 07:27 AM
    East India is only a small part of India, so that's not a proper term to call the entire nation.
    Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    East India is only a small part of India, so that's not a proper term to call the entire nation.
    Don't split hairs. From our part of the world, they have always been called East Indians. You are talking about being in India and viewing it as east and west.

In Canada, they are called East Indians. They don't mind. They call themselves East Indians. This is why we call there type of food, East Indian cuisine.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 05:18 PM
    Such a distinction is not common as seen in other parts of the world. I am sure Germans differentiate between those who were in West Germany vice those in East Germany prior to the reunification, but the rest of the world call them all Germans.

Similarly, there is some differentiation in the U.S. between those from New York versus those from California versus those from Taxes versus those from the deep South. The rest of the world call us Americans.
    Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Such a distinction is not common as seen in other parts of the world. I am sure Germans differentiate between those who were in West Germany vice those in East Germany prior to the reunification, but the rest of the world call them all Germans.

Similarly, there is some differentiation in the U.S. between those from New York versus those from California versus those from Taxes versus those from the deep South. The rest of the world call us Americans.
    No, the rest of the world know the difference between Canadians and... you, but we are all on the North American continent, as opposed to the South American continent.

Indigenous people on rhe North American continent are ALL called Amerindian, a derivative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN rejected for dependent [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes. Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007...

ITIN for L2 dependent child [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am having a L1 visa and brought my spouse and kid with L2 dependent visa. I came here in the month of May 2011 and brought my family in the month of August 2011. Both myself and my spouse is having SSN but I don't have either SSN or ITIN for my kid. This year I have got my W2 form and I...

ITIN for Kid is required? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India with the L1B Visa, My spouse and kid are with me, they are in L2B Visa. Me and spouse has got the SSN, do I need to apply the ITIN number for my Kid (18 months old) for Tax Exemptions? If yes, what is the procedure? Kindly Adivce

ITIN L2 dependent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a L1 Visa and came here in April 2009 on a intracompany transfer. I went and brought back my wife and son on L2 on May. I have the following questions 1. My wife does not have SSN and do I have to apply for ITIN durin the time of filing or can I apply for it now itself. My W2 form...

ITIN for L2 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have couple of question on Dependent filling, please help me in understanding. 1. I came to US on March'07. My spouse and kid joined me on May'07. My wife & kid will be staying for 6 month and then leaving back to India. Can I change my W4 status to Married and get the tax benefits on...

View more questions Search