Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jklotzb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Smell in bathroom and tub gurgles
    For the past few months, every time we flush the toilet, the tub makes a gurgling sound. The worst part is the horrible gas smell in our bathroom. We just snaked and reconnected the vent to the roof. Unfortunately the tub still gurgles and the terrible smell remains. The smell is extremely strong and embarrassing when we have company over. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Nov 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
    We had a similar problem that snaking would not resolve. The main drain line that runs through the to the septic tank was coated internally in thick sludge that felt like soft rubber. We used a concentrated liquid lye cleaner in both ends of the main line. It must be used when the drain line will not be used for 8 hours (such as overnight). After 8 hours flush with hot water from both ends. This will clear the main drain line & resolve impending problems you did not expect.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 20, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Hi Jklotzb

It sounds like you snaked the main vent going out the roof? If this is the case, I'm sorry to say that you wasted your time as the main drain isn't the issue here.

More likely is that the drain line to the tub needs to be snaked. This can be done through the tub VENT or through the tub drain (via the overflow faceplate), but you will get resistance from the PTRAP... just keep the snake spinning as you push to get past the PTRAP... and then put out another 10-15 feet and that should help resolve this for you.

I don't think you need to get any "liquid lye cleaner" out quite yet!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Gurgles When Flushing Toilet [ 16 Answers ]

Please Help!! My wife and I recently purchase our firt home (a condo actually). We are on the top floor (4 floors). Since moving in our tub drain has gurgled when we flush our toilet. We have notified our strata management compnay who have tried to both snake the stack vent on the roof as well...

Tub drains slowly, gurgles [ 0 Answers ]

From what I have gathered from other answers, the fact that my tub gurgles when I flush the toilet suggests a venting issue. Can this same issue also cause it to drain very slowly? It can handle a five minute shower but after that the water has filled whatever pipe space is available and starts...

Sewage smell coming from sink, tub and towlet in front bathroom? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that was built in 2008. It is one story and has two bathrooms. The master bath is fine. However, the front secondary bathroom has a sewage smell coming from it. The water in the tub and sink smell horrible and the towlet even after using the flush tablets smell. There is always a...

Odor smell bathroom tub [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am leaving in chicago I have question problem in my bathtub in my down stairs bathroom bad smell coming from bathtub drain very often .I am not using that bathroom often .even those I regular clean and when smell came I put some time bleach(clorox) running hot water almost 5min. But...

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. [ 2 Answers ]

My bathroom tub gurgles when I have water draining from the bathroom sink.. In addition, I will occasionally get some black specks that will burp out of the sinks overflow drain hole.. Any suggestions on where to start looking to correct these problems?

View more questions Search