Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jed-Clyde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 06:19 PM
    1 red wire - 3 white wires and a bundle of 3 black wires
    The former owners of my new house (built 1980) took the ceiling fan with them when they moved out. I found 1 red wire and 3 white wires hanging down loose with cap nuts on each and a bundle of 3 black wires wrapped together with 1 cap nut and tucked way up in the box. It is obvious the black wires have been unused for a long time.

The switch to this box has 1 red wire and 1 black wire.

My light fixture has 3 white wires together and 3 black wires together (it holds 3 bulbs). But the most perplexing part is that the dining room light and the wall outlets have no electricity now.

I literally cannot afford an electrician and I can find nothing like this in basic searches. What do I do with all these wires to get my light working and the electricity back in the dining room?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2013, 08:05 AM
    The 3 blacks are the hots and being used, leave thes alone as they are always hot. The Whites all need to be together along with the fixtures 3 whites, The 3 blacks on the fixture connect to the red wire, this comes from the switch, the black on the other terminal of the switch is one of the blacks tucked away in the Fixtures box.
    Do Turn the Power off as the whites can provide a shock when interrupted. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red wire, black wires, white wires [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently changing a ceiling fan and putting up a chandalier (black smooth wire, black rib wire, and ground) instead. In the ceiling I have 1 white, 1 black, 1 red, and 1 ground. The wall switch area use to have 2 switches (one for ceiling fan light and other for fan) however all we need is...

2 white wires & 2 black wires from ceiling, how do I wire ceiling fan? [ 4 Answers ]

A one switch ceiling fan with 2 white and 2 black wires from the ceiling. How do we wire fan? The switch has only one black and one white wire. The fan has one white, one black, and one black/white wire.

How to wire a light fixture with red black and white wires [ 2 Answers ]

Installing outdoor light fixture. Fixture has a white, a black and a green ground wire. There are two switches and a sensor in the garage. The wiring on the wall outside the house to the fixture has a red, a black and a white wire. How should the wires be connected for proper operation of the...

Red white black wires to black black and green wires [ 0 Answers ]

How do I hook up a submersible pump with red white black wires to black black and green wires

I kneed to figure the wire sequence on a pullchain with black,white,red & blue wires [ 1 Answers ]

I replacing a pull chain on my ceiling fan with one from the local hardware store as one is not available from the manufacturer, it is a 4 wire 3 speed pull chain with L& 1,2,3 I need to figure the wire sequence on a pulchain with black,white,red & blue wires, also the old pull chain was letters...

View more questions Search