Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sravip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 02:06 PM
    File State tax without ITIN for spouse
    Hi ,
    Iam here with L1B visa and my family joined here in Apr last year 2006
    I have applied for ITIN for them, but I am yet to recive that.
    In case if I cannot get ITIN by Apr 15, then How do I file state tax.

Please advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 10:49 AM
    If you are getting a refund, just wait for the ITIN. There will be NO penalties for filing late, since no income tax is owed.

If you OWE taxes on your state return, file an extension request using the state extension form (using only your SSN) and mail a check to cover what you owe. Put your SSN on the check.

Then file the state tax return when the ITINs are received
    gautha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Ok, As long as you have a VALID SSN you can file the state tax without waiting for your dependents to get a ITIN. You just mention applied for ITIN or W7 attached on the state tax return and you don't even have to attach a copy of your W7.The state tax department will assign a dummy accounting # to your dependents and process it . Remember it is tagged to your SSN. Next year when you refile your state taxes with valid ITINs for your dependants they will update their records and replace the dummy # with the actual ITIN.
    Hope that helps.

Again this is what I did and better to check with a qualified CPA and not believe me entirely .

Gautham Chandrasekaran
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 02:02 PM
    What Gautham says is true for SOME states.

Other states will reject the tax return if you submit the state tax return without the ITIN.

California accepts the returns without the ITIN, but most states do NOT.

Mar 18, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Yes , only some states accept this.
    Out of the 3 states I filed - NY, NJ and CT .

NY has accepted the state tax with a dummy accounting number.

CT has sent me a letter stating that I need to send them the ITIN for my spouse and they are holding the state tax return till then. They have not rejected the state tax but they have
    Merely kept it on hold and asked me to fax/mail my wife's ITIN letter to their address/fax with a reference number which they had mentioned in their communication.

NJ has not replied till date.

Gautham Chandrasekaran
    lyl3982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    If you are getting a refund, just wait for the ITIN. There will be NO penalties for filing late, since no income tax is owed.

If you OWE taxes on your state return, file an extension request using the state extension form (using only your SSN) and mail a check to cover what you owe. Put your SSN on the check.

Then file the state tax return when the ITINs are received
    Hello,
    I read you reply and still have something unclear. I also in this situation, that means, my wife ITIN number hase not arrived.

1. How can I know the amount of money I am OWING if my wife has not received her ITIN? (I know that I have to fill her ITIN to know the amount of number that I owe).

2. One tax company did not advise me apply ITIN for my wife (they have no idea about this and said that I file as a single) and estimate that I am owing about $2,000 .In case, my wife has ITIN, the owe money is less than or higher than this amount?

3. Where can I get the state extension form?

4. I am in Texas, does it have any exception while my wife has not received her ITIN?

Your soon reply is very high appreciated.

Lyl

Mar 26, 2008, 03:04 AM
    There is no relation between knowing how much you owe tax and an ITIN number. An ITIN number does not qualify you for a lower or higher tax. I would expect you to file a joint married return with your wife as if assuming your wife has an ITIN except that you mention in the forms that you have "applied for ITIN" for your wife and attach a ITIN application form with your federal tax and send it to the IRS austin processing center.
    saneen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gautha View Post
    There is no relation between knowing how much you owe tax and an ITIN number. An ITIN number does not qualify you for a lower or higher tax. I would expect you to file a joint married return with your wife as if assuming your wife has an ITIN except that you mention in the forms that you have "applied for ITIN" for your wife and attach a ITIN application form with your federal tax and send it to the IRS austin processing center.
    Is there a list of such states which process the State Refund with Dummy ITIN till we get the ITIN.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Not that I know of.

To my knowledge, the only states that account for the ITIN application as part of the state tax submission process are California and Indiana.

Connecticut appears to have a procedure in place that allows them to put a hold on the return (and the refund) until the ITIN is submitted, which means the tax return should have NOT been submitted in the first place.
    uflganesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 12:32 PM
    I live in CA and if I understand this thread correctly, I need to submit my federal tax return with the W7 form to the Austin processing center and send my state returns to the CA address given in the state tax forms. Is this correct?
    uflganesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 12:32 PM
    I live in CA and if I understand this thread correctly, I need to submit my federal tax return with the W7 form to the Austin processing center and send my state returns to the CA address given in the state tax forms. Is this correct?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Sravip:

If you have a refund due from the state, then do not worry about filing late. Most states do not even require an extension form unless you owe money. File the state return when you get the ITIN.

Uflganesh:

You can file the California return WITHOUT the ITIN. California is one of two states that allows this (Indiana is the other).
    jonathanann Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 06:58 PM
    Can I file State Tax Return without ITIN in NJ and NC, anyone tried or have experience?

I also filed a Federal Tax Return with W-7 for my wife. And now I received a corrected W-2 form, should I send 1040X now, or better wait until I get ITIN and refund and then send amendment... Just want to get refund quicker...
    Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Jonathanann:

Wait until you get the ITIN, then file the amendment with the corrected W-2C.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN for H4 spouse, how to file state taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have been working in California for entire 2006. During October 2006 I changed my status from F1 (OPT) to H1B. I got married in December outside US and returned to US along with my wife (H4 visa) in 3rd week of December. 1. As per information on IRS web site and other sources...

How to file state tax returns while applying TIN for my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am applying ITIN for my wife along with my federal returns. How do I file tax returns for state - I have to file for MICHIGAN and MINNESOTA. I don't have much time left to wait till I receive TIN and then file the state returns. I want to know if I can file state returns without TIN or simply...

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

Have applied for ITIN but how to file state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have applied for ITIN for my spouse with my federal tax. Last year I had income from California and New Jersey. IN NJ they ask me to send copies of W7 form and federal taxes with NJ tax return. But I am not sure about California? Can I do same thing with California return? Thanks for...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search