Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmicaowp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Tax treaty exemption
    I joined university as a reasearcher on H1B June 13, 2006. According to tax treaty, I am exempted from federal and state tax for 3 years (June 13, 2006-June, 2009). So I am a non-resident alien and should file form 1040NR, right? Many thanks.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 1, 2007, 01:01 PM
    No. You will still be a resident if you pass the SPT. However, you will be able to claim the treaty exemption on your 1040.

Also, this year you will be a dual status alien and thus file a dual status return.

Handle with care - see Pub 519.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Much depends on the country from which you came.

What IS that country?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

Tax exemption J1 [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am an italian citizen and I was here as a PHD researcher on a J1 visa from jan 2004 to nov 2006 (I am on an H1B now). I know that I was entitled to a 2 years exemption form taxes. When in January 2006 I noticed that the institution I used to work for didn't detract taxes from my paycheck...

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search