Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Icepuppy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 11:04 PM
    Canadian custody question
    Our 2 grand daughters (currently 8 & 6 yrs) were moved by their mother 2 hours away from their father 2 years ago. He has 3 wkend visits per month. Week on/week off July & August. Legal custodial document in place.

Since last summer the 8 yr old cries constantly that she wants to return to her home town (where both sides of extended family reside) but admits she doesn't want to be separated from her younger sister (who wants to stay with their mother)

So. At what age should my son consider legal counsel for his daughters? He of course doesn't want to separate the girls, but is breaking up knowing how unhappy the older one is & doesn't know how to help her.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2013, 12:13 AM
    Age really doesn't matter in this case. There's never a good age to put your children through a legal battle or separate them from a sibling they want to be with. This is really a case of the father realizing that an 8 year old needs guidance, not more turmoil.

He should talk to the mother of his children and let her know that the older child is unhappy, and to seek counseling for the child. Counseling should be going on anyway because of the situation these children are in.

If his older child, a child of 8, is unhappy because of where she lives, it's unlikely that the courts will take that into consideration when deciding whether to split the kids up. There would have to be great negligence on the part of the mother for that to happen, and if that were the case it's doubtful she would have gotten custody to begin with, and in that case both children would be removed from her care. Your son would also have to be able to prove any allegations if that's what's going on, if that's what's causing the 8 year old's unhappiness, which wasn't mentioned and doesn't seem to be the case here.

From your post I'd say that counseling for both children is really the best course both parents can take for the sake of their children. A united front, no matter what the hostility is between them, is also best for the children. Daddy needs to stop enabling the 8 year old, and needs to start helping the mother, the one with main custody, to help her children adapt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2013, 05:47 AM
    The decision has to be made by the court, not the child. And, at that age, they really won't listen to her preferences.

I agree with Alty, the father needs to determine why the daughter is unhappy.
    Icepuppy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2013, 09:28 PM
    Thank you both for your replies. Thankfully there is absolutely no worries over abuse or neglect. The older child is unhappy because she was never told this was to be a permanent move, her mother led her to think she would have a choice. It has been harder for her than the younger one to settle in because she had already been in school here for 2 years & still misses her friends (tho they are penpals, happily) Neither of the girls wanted to go in the first place (happy to be with their mother of course, just not 2 hours away from their father & cousins.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2013, 05:23 AM
    That they have not adjusted after 2 years, especially at that age, is worrisome. Young children are resilient. For a 8 yr old to still be unhappy over such a move that occurred 2 years earlier sounds alarms to me. I would have her talk to a professional. I think something else is going on. It may not be abuse, but something is making her unhappy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Report a bad canadian dentist to the canadian dental assoc [ 1 Answers ]

I am am blood pressure medication and had the freezing put in my mouth and then my heart started to beat really fast then my had hands where shaking and she still ewanted to the work even though this would not stop for a while. I really thoug I was going to pass out. Where do I report this dentist...

Canadian divorce if the other party is not a canadian citizen or iimigrant [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a landed immigran here in Canada. Last year I went back to the Philippines to get married. For some reason, my wife, after we got married decided that she doesn't want to go with me to canada And decided that we should instead end our legal relationship. My question, can I file a...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

Canadian income question [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering accepting a position as a contractor with a Canadian company. I'll be working in the U.S. but being paid out of Canada. As a contractor I understand the rules around FICA, etc. but want to know if the Canadian company sends a 1099 MISC at the end of the year as a U.S. company would...

View more questions Search