Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doolittle12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quit claim deed
    We were given $10,000. In return for the sale of our non homestead property, with the understanding (verbal) that the investment company whom we sold it to would find financing for it.
    We have tried contacting the person who sold it to. He won't return our calls; and we have been contacted by the mortgage company that the property is still in our names. They have not paid the note on time. And it is causing our credit to suffer. Also upon looking over the public record files there is a quitclaim deed listed that shows where a notary witness our signature. We did not signe any papers before a notary.
    Also, we have discovered that our ,mortgage papers had a clause stating that we could not sale the property. What are we to do now?:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 10:47 AM
    ANY time you have a mortgage on a property, the mortgage holder has a lien against the property. That means it can't be sold without them being a party to it. In a proper real estate transaction there is a closing where a title company oversees the transfer of property and makes sure everyone is paid.

If the property is still in your name and an invalid quit claim deed was entered, then you still own the property. Bring the original note current. If the person who paid you the $10K didn't handle the transaction properly that's their fault. You have their $10K AND the property.

The worst that can happen is they sue you to regain the property. At that point you countersue for the costs or bringing the note up to date. Your legal grounds is that they breached the contract by not paying off the note and legally transferring the property.

And next time, consult an attorney before you enter a deal like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit claim deed [ 3 Answers ]

Is attorney needed for quit claim deed

Quit claim deed [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home in Ohio with my now ex fiancé. During our split up I signed a quit claim deed. I signed this (while listening to him and his grandmother) thinking it takes me off the loan too. Come to find out I am still financially responsible for the payments on the house. Do I have any...

Quit Claim Deed [ 5 Answers ]

I'm gettng separated from my husband and my Grandma is giving me her trailer home to live in (I know, yikes, a trailer home, at least it has a roof) :) What exactly needs to happen? She doesn't want me to pay for it, she's just going to hand it over. Where can I obtain a simple and...

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I reside in Fl. My mother had a Living Trust, in Fl as well. In the trust it clearly states that I am to receive her house. She passed away in June. I filed the Quit Claim Deed that came with the Living Trust. The county mailed back the appropriate paperwork. The house is now in the name of...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search