Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Broken sewer pipe
    We have had plumbers out from the landlord and then the city. Both are saying collapsed pipe. We have been told no water usage and no toilet usage.

Landlord is saying he needs to screen contractors as the basement needs to be dug out and pipe found and replaced. He said he is unsure how long.

Is this legal? What so we do for bathroom, eating, showering and laundry? Does anyone know how long a fix can take?

House is 100 years old cement basement. City could not get auger any further than 4meters. They did being in something to try to blow ?it out. That did not work either.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Hi Mogrann

A video inspection of the drain is the first thing to have done at this point... although expensive, it should pinpoint location/distance from the cleanout and expedite the process of repairing the break in the pipe. Time to fix this will be determined by how much pipe will be replaced.

Next thing that should be done is for you to ask your landlord what he wants you to do. Does he want to bring in a port-a-potty (yuck and doesn't resolve issues like showering), does he want you to go to a hotel (you take the hotel rental of the next month's rent, or is he hoping you can room with family near by (this would not be reasonable)?

Obviously, you need a toilet... ;)

Back to you...

Mark
    Dogs Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
    The city said too much water in drain for camera? I hope I get terminology right. They were ones saying no water they were here 1.5 hours. Also hotel won't work as we have pets. Right now I am doing dishes in a plastic tub and dumping water outside Bunking with family would be OK of we were on other side of Canada. Hoping he calls us back soon.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 01:42 PM
    There are plenty of pet friendly hotels, or you could leave a pet (or two or three) at home or with friends and pretty much use the hotel only at night...

Just thinkin' aloud... ;)
    Dogs Expert

Nov 13, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Update and just more questions in my mind:

The plumbers came out and tried to put a camera in but too much water as the city had said. They then tried to drain the water but found more came in as they drained it. Henry said this was a company (not a fly by night operation) like a franchese. They are perplexed and said they will be back FRIDAY with a jackhammer to dig up and see what is happening.
    We are allowed to use water.. but very limited. Flushing toilet only when necessary. Washing dishes in plastic tubs and putting water outside. Showering as quickly as possible. (less than 5 min).
    I was not here when plumbers were so I am repeating what hubby said.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
    Perhaps, your landlord is not approaching this problem the proper way. Small plumbing contractor may be more responsible - and knowledgeable - than those franchise companies. Franchises have high employee turn-around so chances are you are talking to a "kid" who is relatively new employee and has very limited knowledge of the trade. Just bcs he is wearing shirt with several patches attached to it doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about. Call a self-employed, licensed, plumber, who is in business for long time. I bet you he can get you back on track in one day. Also he may be lot less expensive that franchise company. At least, that's true in my area. Good luck. Let us know how it went. Milo
    Dogs Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
    UPDATE

Finally the landlord has signed the papers and the plumbers are here.
    They dug up the spot in the basement. And can not find the pipe as it is full of water. They are draining the water now and the house stinks. Buckets upon buckets of nasty sewer water is being brought up.

I need to know what health risks there would be to having a leaking sewer pipe in a basement. The plumbers have said there is missing a large section of pipe and they are unsure if it is even connected to the city's pipes. They are still searching.
    Henry and I used the basement for our bedroom for 3 years. I have asthma, with allergies. Do we need to check with our family doctor or is it just the ick factor of breathing in the sewage? The plumbers have said the sewage has sat under the floor for awhile.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
    I'm going to go with the "ick factor" here.

As long as the sewer pipes were covered by dirt and cement I don't think there is any real health related issues to be concerned with... yucky, but not going to cause asthma or aggravate it, or it would have a long time ago... ;)

Note also, that these plumbers are giving their opinion... don't exactly take that as gospel. I've seen a whole lot of plumbers get over excited and make a big deal only to have the owner of the plumbing company show up (with way more experience) and present a different story, you know?

Anyway, it sounds like they are fixing things and will be removing all the yucky stuff, so you will probably be just fine after all this.

Mark
    Dogs Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
    They are coming back tomorrow with another crew as well as the guys that are here now. They need a backhoe as there is a blockage somewhere outside.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Just talked to them myself. What they are going to do is dig a hole to the city's pipes and then with a cone force the old pipes to the cities. Then lay pipe down in the new hole. Hope I explained that right . Will be an all day event

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair small leak in sewer drain pipe at connection of pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet drain pipe has a small leak where two pipes connect. Is there a way I can repair the connection leak without taking the connection apart?

Broken toilet sewer pipe in concrete. [ 0 Answers ]

My toilet in my apartment was leaking so the landlord pulled it off and we found a huge chunk broken off the top of the pvc drain pipe that is in the floor. He rigged it with a 2" pipe down the inside of the 3" that is there, with a reducer to fit it to the flange. He put a compression gasket on...

How do you disconnect concrete sewer pipe form cast iron pipe [ 10 Answers ]

Well, I have dug out to the cast iron connection outside my stem wall and the concrete pipe seems to be cemented to the cast iron pipe. Any tricks to get this cast iron pipe cleaned up so I can connect the plastic pipe to it? Could I use a small chisel and chip away carefully so as not to break...

To wet test a sewer drain install, do you plug the sewer pipe as it enters the septic [ 2 Answers ]

Three questions. For a sewer drain wet test, do you plug the drain as it enters the new septic tank? Where does the 10' wet stack go and can you change direction 45 degrees under a slab in the main sewer drain line ?

View more questions Search