Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhann Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2013, 07:33 PM
    Couple that's not married adopt a child then break up do they have to pay support
    If a couple that's not married adopt a child then break up, does one have to pay child support for the other?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Hello j:

Whether he's adopted or or not, the non custodial parent will have to support his child.

excon

Nov 11, 2013, 08:41 PM
    And that person who has to pay support is getting married to someone else. So would it cause problems for the married couple?
    Can they settle it in a court if both don't agree to it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhann View Post
    And that person who has to pay support is getting married to someone else. So would it cause problems for the married couple?
    Can they settle it in a court if both don't agree to it?
    Mostly it depends on what took place during the adoption. If it was an adoption to the couple then it can be settled by the courts. If it were a single parent adoption then the other party has no legal obligation so there is nothing to settle.

Nov 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Mostly it depends on what took place during the adoption. If it was an adoption to the couple then it can be settled by the courts. If it were a single parent adoption then the other party has no legal obligation so there is nothing to settle.
    Both agreed on the adoption
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhann View Post
    Both agreed on the adoption
    Did both sign the adoption so they are both the legal parents? If so it is no different then if they were married and the child is naturally theirs. They both took on responsibility for that child. The child is legally theirs. If one parent becomes the primary custodian, the other will be responsible for support.

Remember an adoption is a legal assumption of paternity and is the same, legally, as giving birth to the child.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 04:19 PM
    I don't know of anywhere in the US that allows adoption of a child by two people who are NOT married.

So--either you BOTH adopted, and you are BOTH legal parents which means that the non-custodial parent will owe child support to the custodial parent upon a "breakup", or only ONE of you is a legal parent listed on the adoption paperwork and the other has no legal rights or obligations at all.

Is this a hypothetical adoption?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I don't know of anywhere in the US that allows adoption of a child by two people who are NOT married.
    Is this a hypothetical adoption?
    Yes, you beat me to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you are still married can you be made to pay child support? [ 3 Answers ]

My kids stay in Ohio with their dad and I live in Michigan. Can he get me for child support if we are still married?

If my ex gets married do I still need to pay child support [ 7 Answers ]

Do I still pay child support if my ex gets married

Can I claim my daughter on taxes, never married to her mother, pay child support [ 4 Answers ]

I pay child support, and from what I pay, I pay about 70% of her costs, and her mother pays 30%, as determined by the court. I have joint custody, and see my daughter a couple times a week, and 2 overnights a month. Do I have a right to claim her on my Taxes at least every other year. I live in...

Does a step parent who is not married to the child's father have to pay child support? [ 22 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 4years he has a son who is 5years old. The mother of the child is asking for child support which my partner does not mind paying, Im just wondering can the mother make me pay child support too? I live in New Zealand if that helps.

Married Same Sex Couple seeking to adopt my wife's child [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone, my name is Alexie and I had a very important question to ask. I am obviously a Lesbian women LEGALLY MARRIED (IN IOWA) to my wife Carmen. Name change and everything. We have been together for over 4 years and are raising 3 beautiful kids together. I have 2 biological and she...

View more questions Search