Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rehmans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 09:09 AM
    No water from mains.
    Hi there, I searched this beautiful forum which I found really interesting :) but unfortunately could not find my answer, I am not much expert in plumbing but my father is an expert still somehow I do not agree with him that's why I came across these forums to get a solution, I recently moved from abroad and found this situation nasty:mad: , we have a water pump/motor installed to main line from underground which supplies water to rest of house, problem is that some times the water is not there, quite strange, we lost/damaged a few pumps and then my father installed a pressure switch which I think detects water and switches it ON on detection of water, before that the pump would stay ON even without the supply of water, on asking him why does the water disappear he said that this is how it is, sometimes the water is not there from the main line underground and we are left in a devastated situation but on asking neighbors three houses apart they still have water though we don't have, is this situation normal, do we need a more powerful pump in oder to pull water or is it the location of house, or maybe I think I have to let the water suppliers investigate into this, please anyone with helpful answers give me a hint, most appreciated, thanks:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
    You ARE on a well and not city water aren't you? Sounds like your water table's lower then the well point and you pump it down when you make a heavy draw. Let's clear up something you said.

"my father installed a pressure switch which I think detects water and switches it ON on detection of water"

This isn't so. A pressure switch does not detect water. It switches the pump on when the water pressure falls below a certain point. Under these conditions your pump can still run dry and burn up.
    You need to call in a well man to access the condition of your water supply. Good luck, Tom
    rehmans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Hi there, thanks for the helps but I called the water supply people and they said major construction is going on due to which they shut down water supply to us for a while, this will be rectified shortly, I didn't knew what type of switch was installed by my father that's why I was assuming, all I knew is that it is the one that switches on/start the pump when some one in the house opens water tap and on the closing water tap it would stop, thanks mate for all your help, really appreciate.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Ahhh! Then you're not oin a well but you're on county water that has such low pressure that you need a booster pump to supply pressure to the house.
    If the pump comes on every time you draw a drink or wash dishes then you need a pressure/bladder tank to take the load off the pump. Do you have one installed? If so why isn't it working? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

Running mains on a PCB [ 1 Answers ]

What rules govern running mains electricity (220v ac) on a printed circuit board?

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

Mains electricity question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I live in spain where the electricity mains are 220V 50Hz. I live about 400 metres from town and have a cable which contains 2 wires with a diameter of 10 (not sure what the ten stands for) that runs to my house and delivers mains current. I supply the third ground wire at site with a...

View more questions Search