Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babakid989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2013, 11:24 PM
    I gave up my rights
    The mother ask the courts to ask me and I did do I have to pay child support
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 10, 2013, 11:32 PM
    If ordered, yes, you will still have to pay support.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2013, 12:04 AM
    Typically "giving up your rights" means that you will no longer be make legal decisions regarding the health and welfare of your child. You will still be liable for support up until the child is adopted by a step-parent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2013, 05:48 AM
    Are you sure your rights were terminated? It is rare for a court to actually terminate parental rights. And they will almost never do so if it means stopping a support obligation.

What probably happened is you were given no legal or physical right to see the child, but you still have a support obligation if the court orders it.

You need to read the court orders.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Unless there was an adoption, or you are a serious threat to child, rights are not taken away. Often the parent may lose custody, may have lost rights to visit, and others.

But you have to pay, as long as there is court order

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband gave up rights, now going to court [ 10 Answers ]

My husband was married before; I'm his second wife. Well they had a child, and 8 months later they divorced. Throughout their marriage, his ex-wife told him numerous times that the child in question wasn't his, the child doesn't even look like my husband. I don't know why he didn't just do a DNA...

I gave up my parental rights do I have any chance to change that? [ 1 Answers ]

The mother told me she would abort if I didn't. She did an open adoption and has a relationship with my child that I cant. Is there anyway I can be a part of his life?

What are the rights of a parent who gave up children for adoption? [ 2 Answers ]

In the early 1980's my husband four siblings were put up for adoption, three of the children (my husband included) were adopted by the same family. We have recently been contacted by one of the other siblings seeking contact. What we need to know is if we contact this person and they are still...

My ex gave up his parental rights and wants them back [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-husband gave up his parental rights to our now 4 year old daughter in 2007 and is now threatening to get an attorney and take me to court to get his rights back and joint custody. We got divorced overseas while we were both active duty and stationed in Japan. He initially left when our...

View more questions Search