Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sduggins Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 10:15 PM
    Quest cold water shutoff valve for washer
    Switched out washing machines and when I turned the cold water back on the valve started leaking. It has Quest on the handle, so I'm assuming I will have to replace with same. Does anyone know if this gets more involved than just shutting the water off and using some wrench's to replace the part? I hate plumbing and it hates me!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2013, 10:34 PM
    Is it a compression fitting or pipe thread?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Hi Sduggins

Where is it leaking from? If it is leaking at the nut behind the handle then that is a packing nut and it can be tightened a bit to stop the leak (designed that way)...;)

Good luck!

Mark

Nov 11, 2013, 09:09 AM
    Hey there, thanks for the prompt replies! It is leaking from just under the handle, where the little screw holds the handle on. And I think it is a compression fitting? I took a picture but don't know how to upload it here.

Nov 11, 2013, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Sduggins

Where is it leaking from? If it is leaking at the nut behind the handle then that is a packing nut and it can be tightened a bit to stop the leak (designed that way)...;)

Good luck!

Mark
    Hi Mark, thank you for the quick reply. It is leaking from just under the handle, where the screw holds the handle on. And I think it is a compression fitting, I took a picture but don't know how to upload it here. So I can tighten the screw? Doesn't that just hold the handle on?
    Appreciate any insight you can give!

Nov 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Is it a compression fitting or pipe thread?
    Thank you for the quick reply. I think it is a compression fitting. I took a picture of it but don't know how to upload it here.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 06:28 AM
    So I can tighten the screw
    I didn't say anything about tightening the screw...

I said to tighten the PACKING NUT behind the handle... turn about 1/8th turn and should fix the issue. Reread my original post...

Mark

Nov 14, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I didn't say anything about tightening the screw...

I said to tighten the PACKING NUT behind the handle... turn about 1/8th turn and should fix the issue. Reread my original post...

Mark
    Hi, I finally screwed up my courage and tightened the PACKING NUT just like you said and it quit leaking! Thank you so much for the direction! You are wonderful!

Stacey
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Good for you! Thank you for taking the time to update me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace an old Quest shutoff valve under sink? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 25-30-year-old Quest shutoff valve under my sink that I need to replace. I was trying to isolate a faucet drip, and I turned off the hot water at the shutoff valve under the sink for the first time... Now it won't open back up fully. It still works, kind of, but it's ancient and should be...

No cold water to tub & Knurled cap on shutoff valve? [ 6 Answers ]

(The new bladder & pump switch are still working. Thanks again!) Since our adventures with the ruptured bladder in the pressure tank we've had little to no cold water in the shower, which hasn't been a big deal as our water heater isn't set very high. However, I figure it should be fixed &...

Outside water faucet shutoff valve [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved and cannot figure out how to shut off the outside water faucets. It's going to be 10 degrees tomorrow night so any help would be appreciated. THX

Water Shutoff Valve [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: Originally Posted by Rowland Two Prob: 1) Indiviual water shutoffs not working in 36 year old home bathrooms/kitchen. Repair or replace? Are they repairable? 2) Dwelling/Home main shutoff in basement not...

View more questions Search