Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobtastic Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 30, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Getting a portuguese passport in the UK
    Hi all,

In need of some help.
    My friends are portuguese and living in the UK, they both have portuguese passports and are not classed as 'british' because they have not lived here for 5 years.

They have since then had a son, who was born in the UK but is not entitled to a british passport (because the parents need to live here for 5 years)

So the son is in need of a Portuguese passport, ideally before summer.

Anyway, we have tried calling the Portuguese Consulate in London and Manchester, and there is NEVER any answer. Also tried calling the Portuguese embassy to ask what is going on, they just say "the consulate is very busy".
    They never reply to emails either.

So... can anyone help us here?
    We have confirmed the telephone numbers for the consulate many times, and we're definitely calling the right number.

What can we do?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Daniel

Apr 2, 2007, 03:08 AM
    Just been told they only have 1 person in the building answering calls!

Can anyone help here? Any info at all would be great.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:14 AM
    I was under the impression that when you are born in a country and the parents reside there the child is entitled to that passport..
    I could be wrong.

Have you searched the internet?

Apr 2, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

That's only the case if the parents have lived here in the UK for more than 5 years.

They say, if the child was born in the UK and the parents are "settled" in the UK, then the child is british.
    In the t&c's... the word "settled" means 5 years. But the parents have only been here for under 1 year.

I've been trying to call manchester and london consulate all morning now, still no answer.

It seems I'm not the only one having trouble contacting them...
    "passport" | Portuguese Consulate General Review - Yahoo! Local UK
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:39 AM
    british embassy uk - Google Search
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:40 AM
    Hope it helps.

Apr 2, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Sorry, its not the british embassy I need, it's the Portuguese consulate
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:55 AM
    Portuguese embassy in UK? Or portugal?

Apr 2, 2007, 03:56 AM
    The portuguese consulate in the UK.

There are only 2, there's 1 in london, and 1 in manchester.

Please note though... its not the embassy I need to call, it's the consulate.

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 03:57 AM
    portuguese consulate UK - Google Search

Apr 2, 2007, 04:05 AM
    I mentioned in my first post that I had been calling both of the telephone numbers all day.
    I have already spent hours searching Google to find any extra info about the consulate.

Thanks anyway
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 04:08 AM
    How about email?

Apr 2, 2007, 04:10 AM
    Although their email address is listed on their website... they don't reply

Just in case anyone else has this problem like me... Aparently the portuguese consulate hasn't had a phone line in 8 months which is why they don't answer.

So if you need to get an appointment with them, you'll need to visit the manchester consualte in person
    CHEW Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Is any 1 know how a new born bb get a Portuguese passport from uk?bb is born in scotlandd,daddy is Portuguese but not the mummy.And we are not merried...

Jun 22, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Are you a British citizen? If so, you should be able to apply for a British passport.

If not, then the baby will probably need a portuguese passport which is a lengthy process.
    You'll need to see the Consulate in Manchester, not London.

To do this... email the guy @ the consulate in manchester using thiis email address [email protected]
    Yes, he will take a long time to reply, maybe 1-2 weeks.

In your email, simply explain your situation (breifly). And ask for an appointment.

He should reply and tell you he has booked you in. Please note though... Dont expect an appointment before November!

Its going to be a very slow service and you probably won't be travelling for at least 6 more months!
    But you got to do it really.

But as I said... if you are british citizen then I don't think he needs to see consulate.

So check first whether you are okay to have a british passport!
    helenaB Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I am a portuguese national resident in the uk, when my boys were born they had a portuguese passport at 6 weeks old, I had to be at the consulate at 6.30 am, without apointment, but had a passport within days, my younger son, was the same, however I chose to give them dual nationality, for this I had to wait till they were ten y.o. they then automaticaly qualify for british passport( assuming you can prove they always lived in the uk dusring that time, schools will type a letter for you to that effect)), but you do have to be at the queues very early, hope this answers your querie, good luck

Mar 3, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helenaB
    I am a portuguese national resident in the uk, when my boys were born they had a portuguese passport at 6 weeks old, I had to be at the consulate at 6.30 am, without apointment, but had a passport within days, my younger son, was the same, however i chose to give them dual nationality, for this i had to wait till they were ten y.o. they then automaticaly qualify for british passport( assuming you can prove they always lived in the uk dusring that time, schools will type a letter for you to that effect)), but you do have to be at the queues very early, hope this answers your querie, good luck
    What document shd I bring along?
    Carlota Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Yes the Portuguese Consulate in Manchester is THE MOST inefficient body I have ever came across. However, despite the useless women who work there, you can try the following number: +441612360990.

Good luck, C

Aug 10, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlota
    Yes the Portuguese Consulate in Manchester is THE MOST inefficient body I have ever came across. However, despite the useless women who work there, you can try the following number: +441612360990.

Good luck, C

:) thank you! Hope these help!
    suziewoo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 02:50 AM
    Hi, my friend is having the same problem her daughter was born in January and we have been trying to register the little girl for months.

The numbers I have tried and by luck someone has answered are the following for London:

02072913785 / 02072913778 / 02072913770* this number has been the best one to call.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portuguese passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I need to know the procedure and the duration it takes to apply for a portugal passprt , my mother was born in goa but she could married in Pune - I her daughter will still be applicable for portugal passport

Portuguese passport [ 2 Answers ]

My grandfather was born in Portugal, and as such a would like to get my passport. I am specifilly in: _ exact documentation and criteria requerid _ Whether I need apply in Portugal or must I apply in my country or origin _ Lead times _ Cost involved

View more questions Search