Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleydawn385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Car ownership
    I bought a used car from a guy a year ago and paid it off last summer. The guys office burned and all of his records went with it. He's still saying that I owe him money. He already put the title in my name and I have it in my possession. The car turned out to be a lemon and I've since paid over $2000 in work on it. This guy keeps sending a tow truck to my house to try to take it back. My question is, if the title is in my name is the car legally mine, can he take it just by saying that I owe him more for it and If he tries to take me to court for the car can I countersue him for selling me a lemon??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 06:36 AM
    If he tries to take you to court he will have to provide proof that you didn't pay under the terms of the sale. I assume you have your cancelled checks to prove otherwise.

Whether you have a counterclaim about the car being a lemon depends on the terms of the sale and whatever warranty existed. Also your local lemon laws.

However, if he repos the car without being able to prove that you didn't pay, you can sue.
    ashleydawn385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Thank you... actually sometimes I paid with cash and other times with checks. The last couple payments he never wrote me reciepts for, mainly because he doesn't have an office anymore. It seems like he's short on cash and is trying to get something out of me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
    A receipt could be on a napkin, not having a office is not an excuse

If he does not have a lien on the title, and the title is fully in your name, he can not legally repo the car. If the car is sitting in the front of the house when the "tow" truck comes by and they don't take it, then he is just trying to scare you into paying more money, if the car is there and he could take it they would.

NEVER pay cash to people for "something" always have a paper trail.

But at this point you can do little expect write and tell him to stop harassing you, and see if he sues you or tries to repo the car.

Also without a lien on the car, a repo could well be stealing the car, if you have a clear title.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Ownership under the age of 18 [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is looking at purchasing a car - - she is 17. We were just told that she is unable to own a car if she is under 18. My question is, has anyone heard of this? Where can I go to get more information. I found this out from our Insurance agent, but he wasn't able to provide more...

Domain Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

Help, First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined Background: Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Car ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I helped a friend of our daughter purchase a car several months back. He is a minor. The agreement was that we would help him purchase the car, transfer the title directly to his Mother and she would pay the insurance premiums. Since that time his Mom has informed us that she no...

View more questions Search