Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ionize Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 09:29 AM
    Stock Certificate question
    I currently have two stock certificates for a total of 400 shares.

I wish to sell some of these shares.

However, I do not currently have a broker or a brokerage account.

I'm also not interested in buying any additional stock, I just wish to sell some of my current certificated shares.

What would be the best way to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 10:02 AM
    I suggest you select a discount broker (such as Schwab, E-Trade, Fidelity, Vanguard, etc) and set up an account. Yuo can set up a new account on line or in person and deposit the shares in the account either by mail or in person, and then sell however many shares you wish. The remaining shares stay in your account. By the way if you have other stock certificates lying around I would really recommend that you put them into the account as well - putting the stock shares into an account like this in "street name" as opposed to keeping the actual certificates makes it much easier and safer for you (and someday your heirs) to keep track of them.

Nov 6, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I suggest you select a discount broker (such as Schwab, E-Trade, Fidelity, Vanguard, etc) and set up an account. Yuo can set up a new account on line or in person and deposit the shares in the account either by mail or in person, and then sell however many shares you wish. The remaining shares stay in your account. By the way if you have other stock certificates lying around I would really recommend that you put them into the account as well - putting the stock shares into an account like this in "street name" as opposed to keeping the actual certificates makes it much easier and safer for you (and someday your heirs) to keep track of them.
    I looked into those business as per your advice, and while they seem reasonable, they also require an initial deposit of $1,000 or more. The reason I was looking into selling my certificated stock in the first place was because I'm currently short on cash. Do you know of any discount brokers that don't require a minimum deposit?
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ionize View Post
    I looked into those business as per your advice, and while they seem reasonable, they also require an initial deposit of $1,000 or more. The reason I was looking into selling my certificated stock in the first place was because I'm currently short on cash. Do you know of any discount brokers that don't require a minimum deposit?
    Try Scottrade - I believe they allow you to fund your account with physical stock certificates as opposed to requiring cash.

Nov 6, 2013, 03:16 PM
    A quick Google search reveals that Scottrade was found guilty and fined by the FCC a couple years, and has an awful lot of negative reviews online.

Do you know if there's a database of established stockbrokers with good reputations that I could just peruse?
    Expert

Nov 7, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Given that all you want to do is sell a few shares of stock I wouldn't worry about the fine that Scottrade had to pay for inadequate money laundering controls. Your assets are protected by SIPC (Securities Investor Protection Corporation) and FDIC (Federal Depoist Insurance Corp). If you want to build a longer-lasting relationship with a broker then the $1K funding issue that you raised should be irrelevant.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2013, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ionize View Post
    A quick Google search reveals that Scottrade was found guilty and fined by the FCC a couple years, and has an awful lot of negative reviews online.

Do you know if there's a database of established stockbrokers with good reputations that I could just peruse?
    I agree with ebaines. All you appear to be looking for is someone to sell your shares for you. To sell stock, one has to have a seat on the exchange where the stock is traded.Otherwise any person just just go sell. Since you are not interested in an ongoing relationship, then the issues that Scottrade had in the past shouldn't be of major concern.

There is another alternative, however. Contact the Investor Relations dept of the company that issued the stock certificates. Sometimes they will be willing to purchase the holdings of small investors. While you will probably not get highest trading price, you also will probably not have to pay a commission if the company buys your shares back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Stock Certificate Can Anyone Help?? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello my name is Chichi375 I am looking for a stock expert. I have old stock certificate from Greenfield Industries that merged in 1997 with Kennametals . I have 6000 shares and want to know what it is worth. I moved to a different state so never received any mail or notification. I have been...

Old stock certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Does anyone know what happened to a company originally called Homestead Minerals Corporation (Utah)? I found a web site that states they may have merged in 1988, but it did not say with whom. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Old stock certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old stock certificate from American General Corporation for 10 shares from 1936. I found it in a book that someone bought for me at a garage sale about 18years ago, and while cleaning came across it recently. I know very little about this subject, I am not even't sure if this is worth...

Stock certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of EL CID INTERNATIONAL? I have a certificate for 314,579 shares and can not find anything on it, I have sent it to a stock broker and they could not find anything on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Or how to research this more?

View more questions Search