Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SD07 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 06:41 AM
    Tiny white bugs and damp help
    We live in a basement flat and the biggest problem seems to be in the bedroom and not as bad elsewhere.

We constantly have the dehumidifier on in the bedroom apart from when we're sleeping. There is a built in cupboard in the bedroom and I've had to bin some leather bags covered in mold and some brown bugs on one bag. Clothing stored in that cupboard eventually becomes mouldy and needs re-washing.

Over the last year we've lived there I've had to wipe mold from shoes that have been in certain places in the bedroom. The outside wall of the bedroom has white mold patches that form and need to be wiped off. Chest of drawers develop green mold on the back of them.

The odd time I've noticed tiny white dots on leather bags, some of which that move. Over the last few days I've noticed these bugs on the mahogany wardrobes too and some other items that these white bugs stand out on.

Any ideas what they could be and any tips?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 06:45 AM
    I'd consider trying to find another flat if that is at all possible... one that isn't in the basement. Your problem is moisture coming in through the walls and floor... something you will not be able to fix... and its clear that its bad enough you can't control it with a dehumidifier. At least with the one you have... if it's a small one perhaps you need a much larger one if moving isn't an option.

Nov 5, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I'd consider trying to find another flat if that is at all possible... one that isn't in the basement. Your problem is moisture coming in through the walls and floor... something you will not be able to fix... and its clear that its bad enough you can't control it with a dehumidifier. At least with the one you have... if it's a small one perhaps you need a much larger one if moving isn't an option.
    Would a light left on or daylight, and heating regular help or not really? Any idea what the bugs could be?
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SD07 View Post
    Would a light left on or daylight, and heating regular help or not really? Any idea what the bugs could be?
    A light isn't going to help on the humidity... not if it's that bad... heating only helps if its cold and isn't the kind of heat that actually adds moisture to the air. Yes not all heating sources are equal in that respect. For example ventless natural gas heaters can add a lot of moisture to the air in the combustion process.

A larger and possibly a larger second dehumidifier is what you need. Also air circulation is imparative... as humidity can come through the wall and through the wood of the Armodio / cupboard/ or whatever your local dialect would call it as a closed door would allow the humidity to be at a higher level.

Daylight will help...but you live in a basement flat.....you really only have what light the existing windows can allow in.
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 07:45 AM
    I noticed there was a second part of the question that I can't answer... the tiny wite bugs. Someone else will have to comment on that. But based on terminology used... I'm guessing you are most likely in the UK? Location will lhelp with identifying what type of bugs you are dealing with.

Nov 5, 2013, 10:30 AM
    A light isn't going to help on the humidity... not if it's that bad... heating only helps if its cold and isn't the kind of heat that actually adds moisture to the air. Yes not all heating sources are equal in that respect. For example ventless natural gas heaters can add a lot of moisture to the air in the combustion process.

A larger and possibly a larger second dehumidifier is what you need. Also air circulation is imparative... as humidity can come through the wall and through the wood of the Armodio / cupboard/ or whatever your local dialect would call it as a closed door would allow the humidity to be at a higher level.

Daylight will help...but you live in a basement flat.....you really only have what light the existing windows can allow in.
    The flat is pretty cold so I wonder if the heating on more often would help at all. I might see if the letting agency have dehumidifiers we can use. Could leaving the window slightly open for ventilation make any difference? Apart from when we have the light on on the bedroom we tend not to have the curtains open so daylight doesn't really get in very much. Could put a net up so can leave the curtains open during the day though.

Nov 5, 2013, 10:31 AM
    I noticed there was a second part of the question that I can't answer... the tiny wite bugs. Someone else will have to comment on that. But based on terminology used... I'm guessing you are most likely in the UK? Location will lhelp with identifying whait type of bugs you are dealing with.
    Yeah I'm in the UK.
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SD07 View Post
    The flat is pretty cold so I wonder if the heating on more often would help at all. I might see if the letting agency have dehumidifiers we can use. Could leaving the window slightly open for ventilation make any difference? Apart from when we have the light on on the bedroom we tend not to have the curtains open so daylight doesn't really get in very much. Could put a net up so can leave the curtains open during the day though.
    THat only works during the warmer months... doesn't help during the colder ones. If fact during rainy periods (yeah I know it's the UK it rains a lot). Heat might help... and I understand the risk of open curtains when people waling by might look in to see if there is anything to steal...

Air circulation helps usually... sunlight helps... (its the UV that helps more than the simple fact of there being light). However open windows will render a dehumidifier ineffective.

Do you have a humity meter to know exactly how much relative humidity you are dealing with? As in what percentage it is? The thing with mould is it's a fungus... like mushrooms that propegates through spores that get everywhere and wait a long time for the right conditions... and its difficult to deal with.

The masonary walls common in much of the world also like to hold and disipate moisture. I know it's a very difficult thing to deal with, depending on how bad it is it might be impossible to completely resolve.

On tactic used by my inlaws in italy (who had a ground level flat, (no basements as the water table was far too high) was to open the windows an hour every day... leave open the cupboards (armadio or closet) open that long and never close them completely to help airflow.

It won't completely resolve the issue... but it will help minimise some of the problems.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 5, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Smoothy is correct that the simplest solution to your problem is to move. The different and varied fungi growing in that basement sound like a health hazard. You are breathing in the spores constantly.

As far as the insects go, they are likely some species of fungus gnat. The ones on this side of the Pond are usually darker, but we do have some white - ish ones as well.

Here's a link to a fairly complete webpage about them:
    Fungus Gnats as Houseplant and Indoor Pests

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny white bugs [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I took my vacuum out of the closet and it was coved with really tiny white bugs. I've been finding them everywhere in the closet today. There really hard to see it looks just like dust but if you look really close you can see them moving. And there in big groups. Plzz help I have an 18...

Small tiny white bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, can someone please help me? I have a large steel ice cream machine that seems to have attracted very tiny white bugs. I have cleaned the machine thoroughly and even after cleaning the bugs are there. They are much too small to count legs or anything like that. They just look like specs but they...

Tiny white bugs [ 0 Answers ]

They are very small on my coby tablet screen I think there mites. But they don't have wings but they have 6 legs

What are these tiny white bugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked on a chicken farm last year, and I got an infestation in the carpets clothes,etc I had to wash and disinfect everything but now a year on I'm finding them again in clothes, they are very hard to see and they are white with reddy orange heads, please help it's getting me down and it makes...

View more questions Search