Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonah28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2013, 12:47 AM
    How can I adjust my status and get a green card here in the US?
    Hello,
    I am a 22 year old young professional living here in the United States. English is my first language and I can speak basic Spanish. I came to the US on a work visa but it has expired and I have fallen out of status. I have no criminal records or bad employment history and I have completed my bachelor’s degree prior to my arrival. However I wish to work and enroll into school to further my education here. I will willfully pay my taxes and adhere to US laws and policies while gladly accepting second class low paying jobs for a living. Is there any way in which I can adjust my status and get a green card?
    Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 06:18 AM
    Because you are here now illegally.. (you said your status expired) you will most likely have to return to your home country to reapply.

Green cards are issued based on a lottery... with quoatas based on individual countries every year... they aren't handed out to everyone who asks. And they don't hand them out to illegals ahead of people who have been following the rules and are waiting their turn in line.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Nov 5, 2013, 06:54 PM
    One way is to (genuinely) get married to a U.S. citizen.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2013, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    One way is to (genuinely) get married to a U.S. citizen.
    And that is not a sure thing... and can really complicate things.

I personally went through that with my wife, 22 years ago, (she never even came here until after we were married) I married her while living and working overseas... she actually had to leave the country before they would process her application after repeated attempts. And have a friend who did that... even had a child here... but her application (his wife) was refused repeatedly... and even with a lawyer fighting for 10 years was ruled (final ruling) that she would never get a green card (she has NO criminal record).

One thing is certain... it's a painful, expensive and frustrating process.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Nov 7, 2013, 08:12 PM
    When did your visa status expire? It will be the date of the most recent I-94 generally. If it has been less than 180 days, and you leave the US, you will not be subject to the 3-year bar under 212(a)(9).

You could then file for another visa. It would still be difficult as you've been in the US, and working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card status [ 3 Answers ]

I had a green card for 8 years and recently became a US citizen. I gave up my green card when sworn in. Recently I went through a divorce after 16 years of marriage. My ex wife was here on my green card status which is set to expire in 2014. What is her current status?

How can I save status from temporary green card to permanent green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm from india I'm newly coming in the US my marriage done in the 2009 and then they bring my document here in the US and the file it here and I get visa in December and I came to US in January 2010 after one month of marriage they left me because of gold and money needed more they findout my...

Green card status after divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I got married in India and came to USA with my husband. Its been 5 years now we havea 3 year old kid.. Our green card is processed by his company. We got our EAD and waiting for 140 and 485 to clear.we are in the final stage. Now we are thinking of divorcing but I want to live here even after...

Green card status . [ 1 Answers ]

Friend of mine he entered usa 5months beforehis wife apply for him they have kids he got green card for 10 years. Now the wife wants start harresing him that he needs needs to listen to her other wise she can give him divorce and he can loose his green card can you please help us. What is the...

View more questions Search