Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desertqueen56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims
    I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst me. I called the court, they rescheduled. The judge had to reclude himself because of conflict of interest. I explained my case to the referee. It was rescheduled. (The original clerk was dying of cancer) . Then I get told I need to get an attorney to file this form. The original case was the plaintiff did not receive akc papers in what she felt was a timely manner. I had the papers when the court date arrived but was on vacation. What do I do> This is small claims in OHio
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Hello desert:

Some courts will accept motions written on toilet paper with a magic marker. Others want every I dotted and t crossed. In addition, most small claims courts don't let lawyers operate there so I doubt you are required to hire one to write your motion.

Here's what I would do. I would hand write it in the form of a letter to the judge. Tell him why he should vacate the judgment (LEGAL REASONS), not just because you think it would be nice. Make copies and file it. The clerk CAN'T refuse it. A judge would have a very hard time turning you down because your motion lacked form.

Of course, you could hire a lawyer to do it. Or, you could buy a copy of the "Rules of Civil Procedure" for the court you are operating in. In that book, you will learn exactly how this court likes its documents submitted including the font size, margin size and stuff like that. It won't tell you what to say, though.

excon
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Note this on all court docment and pleading:

Defendant ask the court to take judicial notice of the principles of

HAINES v. KERNER ET AL 404 U.S. 519 (1972). 404 U.S. 519, whereas they are to look at the substance rather than it's form, and that the court must construe inartful pleading liberally in pro se actions. Also that the court notify the defendant of any rights which they may have over looked.
    desertqueen56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Thank you for your imput. Another problem with this case, it's a very small court. The presiding judge represents my son in some issues. He recluses himself. But he is the one that told me to get a lawyer to vacate this. I tried talking to him but he just says he can't hear the case. Doesn't really let me explain the facts. Then I get a letter stating all the times I called but just puts dowsn that I was calling to see how the case was coming. Not true.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 07:34 AM
    He's right. Since he represents your son, he should recuse himself and shouldn't discuss the case with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

Motion to vacate judgement [ 1 Answers ]

All my money in my bank accounts are currently frozen due to a judgement. The collection agency is demanding I pay the total amount due up front. I do not have this money. I called the courts and they said I need to file a motion to vacate the judgement. I am willing to let them garnish my...

View more questions Search