Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Natalie941212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2013, 09:57 PM
    How can a pre-nursing student gain experience
    I live in San Francisco, CA. I am currently enrolled at a junior college. I have to complete the rest of my science courses before I can apply for the nursing program. I'm trying to intern so I can gain some experience while I'm going to college. I don't want to graduate and have no experience. I have looked at 10 or 15 website to find a internship position, but they all require at least one year of experience. How can I gain experince if I cannot find a job. I have looked for jobs outside of hospitals, redcross, and none nursing related position, but they also require experience. I get easily upset and started crying because I'm losing hope for finding experience to enhance my education. I am starting to rethink major.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 3, 2013, 10:08 PM
    How about job shadowing a nurse or some medical person? The details and length of time would have to be worked out. Or how about just volunteering at a local hospital. They used to call that person a Candy Striper. You won't get paid for job shadowing or volunteering, but the experience will be very helpful. And you might get your foot in the door for a paid intern position.

Meanwhile, take courses in CPR, First Aid, and even as an EMT, if that would be possible.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 4, 2013, 12:54 AM
    Ten years ago, a new nurse was practically guaranteed a job with good pay right out of school.
    Now the market is terrible.
    Online isn't the way to do this - you have to network with virtually everyone you know, and ask locally at non-hospital facilities.
    Or change your major.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a nursing student and have an assignment that involves asking an RN 8 Questions. [ 5 Answers ]

I don't personally know any RN's so I hope someone here can help me. Here are the questions. 1. Name 2. In what type of work place do you practice? 3. Do you administer or dispense medications or vaccines? 4. What is the main source of reliable information you use before dispensing...

Nursing student caught with shoplifting [ 17 Answers ]

Okay so to make this short and simple... I am 18 years old... Right after high school I went to nursing school, I did excellent, made deans list and everthig... I pass my 1st year That summer I did something VERY STUPID! I tried to shoplift a pair of shorts.. I was caught and now it says...

Kinds of thesis for nursing student [ 1 Answers ]

Title of thesis

Nursing questions for student nurse [ 0 Answers ]

Hello there to whom it may concern my name is mary and I had a couple of questions for a student nurse if anyone is interested please email me. 1.where will you obtain your degree & why did you choose this program? 2.what is your defenition of nursing? 3.how would you describe your role as a...

View more questions Search