Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vegasgirl1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Fighting dss for custody of my sisters children
    DSS took my sister children, she did not want to lose custody of them but that is what has happened. My wife and I told her that we would take her children into our home so that they would be able to stay in the family. She waited because she was going to do the programs that they had asked her to do. Well a year has pasted and DSS says that the children are to go up for adoption. The foster family is wanting to adopt them, she would like them to be placed in our home. We were contacted by DSS and have done everything that they have asked us to do. It take 6+ months for a interstate home study to be done. We were contacted in Jan 2007 by DSS letting us know about the adoption. In Feb 2007 DSS took full custody of her two children cheyenne(6) and melik(3). However because we live in Las Vegas we have to Have an interstate home study done, on March 16, 2007 when DSS was asked by the judge who is being considered for the adoption they said that we are not a option because all of our paperwork is not done. Two other option besides us are wanting these children. Shirley (foster parent) and Margie (old family friend). Shirley who has dealt with DSS for years knows how to use DSS in her favor. She knows that almost every child has attachment distruption and development delay when children are removed from the only family they know. The children have been in her care for over 1 year and this also plays in her favor. The children have bonded with her as they should, but she also has not let anyone else around, such as Margie (who is like their grandmother). She was given orders from the judge for Shirley to let Margie have regular visits but shirley has refused. DSS has stated that because Margie is not family they are too busy to be worrying about her having visitations. On May 15, 2007 the judge is going to decide on where the children are to be placed.

We have tried to lodge complaints against DSS and are in the process of trying to get a fair hearing trial if things go in favor of shirley getting these children. If there is anyone who can possibly help us that would be great. We are in desperate need of a lawyer, but are limited on funds. Please help.. thanks Kenneth and Jennifer Fitzgerald
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 29, 2007, 09:15 PM
    I agree, family should be with family. It is commendable of you to be able to accept the responsibility (but of course you love them). It is a crime that dos is treating you this way.
    I am not really sure of your feelings but it does sound like this woman is trying to steal the kids. There are perks even after adoption, and I am not saying that this is not a good person but she should realize that family is best. But anyway my advice don't give up, if you can get a lawyer. Lawyers can get things done, (sometimes). But that is probably your only choice. Keep your head up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father fighting for custody wants to know what to expect and how to prepare for court [ 13 Answers ]

I have served my child's mother with a custody hearing, and I myself have taken some measures to provide for the case such as tape recordings of her and the threats she made while she was pregnant about killing her self, taking a bottle of pills, then there are some stating that "This is my baby,...

Determining Suitibility for custody of children [ 8 Answers ]

I know that most courts tend to decide that children in most cases belong with the mother unless there is some issue relative to abuse or neglect. This seems to have been a long standing generalization. I have a situation where the husband and father of the children is threatening his wife that...

Regaining Custody of My Children [ 8 Answers ]

I, too am attempting to regain custody of my children. Mine, however is more of an economical "battle" in that my children were with me for 6 years following a divorce, but now after having to represent myself in Pro Per against my ex-husband's mother's ($$$ and) attorney I found to my surprise,...

Children deciding custody [ 7 Answers ]

Has any one ever heard of writing in the custody that the children get to decide what parent they live with?? I was totally blown away at my ex's request to have this added to the custody. The children are 7 and 8. It will be more of there choice as they get older, but not at this age. And...

Custody of my children [ 2 Answers ]

It's been 4 years and my ex wife has physical custodian rights to our kids, we both have legal rights to the kids. I am always having problems with seeing my kids. Every time a visit is schedule, the kids have a great time but they are ridiculed and question when they return to their mother's...

View more questions Search