Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Nov 1, 2013, 02:44 PM
    Calgary Junior High school abolishes honor roll
    Political correctness nonsense strikes again, St. Basil Junior High School in Calgary has done away with the honor roll. Apparently they don't want to hurt the feelings of kids who don't make it. I think it is really unfair to smart, hardworking students. Now when they apply to top colleges they won't even be able to say they made the honor roll. Smarter students might not try as hard if they feel that they won't get recognition. When I was in Junior High, the teacher used to read our test scores out loud in class from top to bottom grade. I remember being really upset when I missed the honor roll by just 2 or 3 points when I finished high school.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
    It is yet another example of how things have gone wrong. Although achievment has its own reward it is nice to get a pat on the back or some other recognition of encouragement when you worked so hard towards a goal.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
    They wouldn't want to harm some child's self-esteem now would they? Give everyone a "participant" ribbon and send them on their way.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2013, 09:27 PM
    Antiquated idea anyway, where I come from they record the Captain and Dux each year, that's all. My son was Captain in his final year, didn't get him anywhere
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2013, 09:40 PM
    I thought we were moving beyond that attitude to protect our children's self esteem. It will definitely backfire later.

It always drove us kids nuts when my dad didn't ever let us win card games or board games, but we sure improved a lot just trying to beat him!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freshman and Junior in high school... Can they date? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a 13 year old girl. Don't roll your eyes, I'm not going to preach about Justin Bieber or whatever else stereotypical 13 year olds discuss. On topic: I'm in 8th grade, but in a month it'll be summer and after that, I'll be a 9th grader. There's this guy, my best friend's brother, who is in 10th...

Is a Junior in high school dating a freshman in high school odd? Or weird? [ 28 Answers ]

I mean my motto or what I said was 2 yrs was my max! But I've always gotten older girls if not same age girls. Or I was older by like a couple months. But this freshman in particular stuck out and I took the chance and we have been dating for a month. She will be 15 while I'm still 16 so its not 2...

Junior in high school, never been kissed [ 7 Answers ]

Okay well I'm sixteen years old and I've never been kissed. I really don't know why. I've had three boyfriends since freshman year, and none of them had kissed me. Two of them were for over a month. I saw them like every day, but we still didn't kiss. Am I doing something wrong?

A junior in high school! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi hello there! :) I am a junior in high school and I am interested in a scholarship for school. The career I want to do is plastic surgery. I want to be a plastic surgeon. So, could you help me out?

View more questions Search