Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coil88winder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Writ of fieri facias in va
    Can a sheriff impose a writ of fieri facias on someone who owns property jointly with a spouse who is not named?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 31, 2013, 05:35 PM
    'Property' refers to real estate. Perhaps you mean a vehicle or other belongings? The items owned jointly can be seized by the sheriff, yes.

Real property (real estate) can have the writ filed against it as a lien, which will stay until the owner(s) sell, at which time the lien is paid.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 02:04 PM
    A writ of fieri facias is another term for a writ of execution.

And, Joypulv, actually in all states of which I am aware, execution of such a writ by a sheriff wouldn't just create a lien (The property sheriff would be "seized of" the property following the levy, but I suppose there might be, in some places, some sort of a "lien" or lis pendens the sheriff could file to prevent it being sold anyway to a third party without knowledge of the levy.); the property (real or personal) can be sold and the proceeds used to satisfy senior liens and (if there are any proceeds remaining) the judgment.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 7, 2013, 05:59 AM
    Yes, I stand corrected.

(Just to add that In my state there are ways that a homeowner can remain in the residence or even get it back after seizure, even after a subsequent sale.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a summons for Tuesday for fieri facias but I own nothing what should I do? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a summons to answer interrogatories and writ of fieri facias, from Glasser and Glasser, for Capital one. I just tried to settle with them but they were not interested. They offered me a payment plan of $50 a month for 6 months. And then they would reevaluate for increase. On the exact...

I have a summons for Tuesday for fieri facias but I own nothing what should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a summons to answer interrogatories and writ of fieri facias, from Glasser and Glasser, for Capital one. I just tried to settle with them but they were not interested. They offered me a payment plan of $50 a month for 6 months. And then they would reevaluate for increase. I don't have...

Writ of fieri facias [ 12 Answers ]

I was served a writ of fieri facias by sheriffs office. He needed to levy on some property for an old credit card debt bought by a third party collector, Jormandy, LLC. He levied on my car because that was really the only property I own that is worth anything. He said that if I did not pay the...

View more questions Search