Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junny53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Rattling pipes
    When I flush my downstairs toilet, the pipes sound like they want to come out of the walls. The upstairs toilet sounds like it is running most of the time. There is no stoppage or back up issues.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Hi Junny

If the sound occurs after you flush then the problem is most likely associated with a loose washer at the toilet shut off valve, or it could be some sediment under the washer of the fill valve... both easily repaired... ;)

The upstairs toilet also sounds like the fill valve could be an issue, but your description also suggests that you could have a failed flapper. Here, look inside the toilet tank and see if the water is up to the top of the overflow pipe in the center of the toilet tank... report back with observation, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have rattling pipes near service, rattling when no flow, ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fairly soft knocking, random, when water is not running. Source of noise near water service entering home in attic. I have decent pressure but pipes are old galvanized with mineral deposit. Water heater nearby by also but noise not directly at the heater. Noise is in area where inlet runs...

Rattling hot water pipes [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a boiler that also supplies the hot water to the kitchen and bathroom. Over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed a rattling noise coming from the pipes. It happens only in the mornings when turning on the hot water in the kitchen. The water spurts out and the noise gets louder the more I open...

Noisy home water pipes. What causes rattling pluming pipes in new home [ 2 Answers ]

Noisy home water pipes. What causes rattling pluming pipes in new home

Rattling pipes [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a split foyer house built in mid 80's. I have had a problem with pipes rattling every since I moved there 7 years ago. The problem has worsened and now the pipes rattle all the time even when you are not using the water. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Rattling Pipes [ 5 Answers ]

After we flush our downstairs commode the pipes rattle. What causes this and how can we fix it?

View more questions Search