Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aciehoameaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I'm a part-time H1-B visa holder but have to file 1099 tax form?
    I work in a small company (with employees less than 10 people). My boss and I understand and follow the minimum wages and hours required to maintain eligibility of part-time H1-B (my visa started in Oct 2005).

However, the company does not withheld payroll taxes, so all employees file their taxes under 1099 (as independent-contractor/freelancer).

As far as I know, filing taxes as independent contractor/freelancer can put me out of status. Is this true for part time H1-B holder? Normally, H1-B visa holder file 1040 tax form.

What is the solution? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Apparently I wasn't being clear.

I will file and pay the taxes, that's for sure. But I'm worried if I file the taxes using 1099 form I would be out of status (instead of using 1040). It's because H-1B visa holder is not supposed to be working as independent contractor.

So the question is: is it okay to file the tax of a part-time H1-B holder with 1099 form? Or must the tax be filed under 1040 no matter what?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Yours is more a LEGAL questtion than tax.

I believe that your employer is violating the provisions of the H-1B visa by paying you as an independent contractor.

You WILL have to file a Form 1040 with Schedules C and SE to pay the required income and self-employment taxes.

As to the legality, recommend you post that question on the LAW forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

J1 Visa 1099 form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm French I start my internship on may 2006 and will go back to france on September 2007. I have a J1 visa and my employer is giving me a 1099 form. What do I have to do with it? Thanks for answering me. I went to the IRS web site or in this web site and I didn't understand what I am...

L1 Visa Holder - First Time Filing - Queries [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to the US on 14th Nov 2006 to work under a L1 visa. My salaries are paid by the local offices of my parent company in dollars. I got my W2 form from my employer and need to file my tax. I have my family with me since I came - wife and two kids (3 yrs and 1 yr+), but none of them have an SSN...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search