Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Richard prior Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I have a question, and I'd love the legal experts to way in on this, it just popped into my head, and since I'm not a legal expert, I'm not sure if it's relevant or not.

When she went to court for child support, was the court made aware of the fact that she lives in the house that both of you own and pay for? Did they take that into consideration when determining the amount of child support you owe?

Yes, there's more than just a roof over a childs head when it comes to supporting said child, but you are paying half of a mortgage on a house you don't even live in, and then pay an additional $300 a week for your child? That seems excessive to me.
    Child maintenance assed my case and said as I don't pay more than half the mortgage it won't be considered.. Bizarre I know! I'd just like to say I'm not trying to withhold money or be a terrible father. It does seem excessive hence my questions on this forum, all this feedback is helpful :)

Oct 31, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The way I've read everything OP has said, there is no court order for child support.

The main clue is here: "I started a new higher paying job albeit short term, now she has re assed the maintenance to a unrealistic figure, or so I think!". I don't read this as saying there is an order, but it could, I suppose, be interpreted that way.

Richard prior, please clarify.
    Yes, child maintenance service has assed my case, so now the private arrangement that has been in place for the last two years is no longer.. I raised my level of maintenance when I started this job but unfortunately it seems it wasn't enough. To make matters even worse back pay has been ordered.. Really quite depressing!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Yes, child maintenance service has assed my case, so now the private arrangement that has been in place for the last two years is no longer.. I raised my level of maintenance when I started this job but unfortunately it seems it wasn't enough. To make matters even worse back pay has been ordered.. Really quite depressing!
    I have two children. Combined they don't cost me $300 a week. I find that amount ludicrous.

I really would look into getting her to buy you out of the house. Goodness knows that with $300 a week in child support, she can afford to do so.

Oct 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
    I have two children. Combined they don't cost me $300 a week. I find that amount ludicrous.

I really would look into getting her to buy you out of the house. Goodness knows that with $300 a week in child support, she can afford to do so.
    That's the question I asked her yesterday after I received the phone call from child maintenance, does it cost 300 a week for little man, her reply was 'well yes'.. I look after him for a continuous block 8 days every month( when I'm home from work) and it doesn't cost me that much, however I guess she has factored in bills etc?
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 03:48 PM
    That's the question I asked her yesterday after I received the phone call from child maintenance, does it cost 300 a week for little man, her reply was 'well yes'.. I look after him for a continuous block 8 days every month( when I'm home from work) and it doesn't cost me that much, however I guess she has factored in bills etc?
    The way I see it parents of a child are responsible for food, clothes, healthcare, education, extracurricular activities within reason, and child care.

Here's the thing. You're not the only one responsible for this child and the costs to care for him. You're only half responsible. Looking at it that way, it's not even $300 a week to care for him, it's $600 a week because she's also a parent and also has to contribute for the care of this child.

That's one expensive kid. Add to that paying half the mortgage every month. You really got screwed, and I don't say that lightly. I'm female, and I often see women trying their best to raise their children alone with little or no support from the father. But your ex, she won the lottery. That's how I see it. I could not afford to spend $2400 a month (which is what it adds up to when you factor in that she's also responsible for child maintenance) for one child. I couldn't even afford $1200 a month, and spend way less than that on my two kids every month. Even if I bought them designer clothes, all the best toys, computers, Ipads, Iphones, hockey, ballet, gymnastics, and everything their little hearts desired, I still would have a hard time spending $1200 a month.

Oct 31, 2013, 04:17 PM
    The way I see it parents of a child are responsible for food, clothes, healthcare, education, extracurricular activities within reason, and child care.

Here's the thing. You're not the only one responsible for this child and the costs to care for him. You're only half responsible. Looking at it that way, it's not even $300 a week to care for him, it's $600 a week because she's also a parent and also has to contribute for the care of this child.

That's one expensive kid. Add to that paying half the mortgage every month. You really got screwed, and I don't say that lightly. I'm female, and I often see women trying their best to raise their children alone with little or no support from the father. But your ex, she won the lottery. That's how I see it. I could not afford to spend $2400 a month (which is what it adds up to when you factor in that she's also responsible for child maintenance) for one child. I couldn't even afford $1200 a month, and spend way less than that on my two kids every month. Even if I bought them designer clothes, all the best toys, computers, Ipads, Iphones, hockey, ballet, gymnastics, and everything their little hearts desired, I still would have a hard time spending $1200 a month.
    Thank you for your insight and help:) I'm also compassionate for single mothers struggling and glad there are systems in place to help. It seems to me that these systems are so inflexible and don't see each case individually. I have know idea how to go about changing this. Obviously this subject has moved from my original question but I guess it's somewhat related:) this is the first time I've used a forum like this, are you based in Australia?
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Thank you for your insight and help:) I'm also compassionate for single mothers struggling and glad there are systems in place to help. It seems to me that these systems are so inflexible and don't see each case individually. I have know idea how to go about changing this. Obviously this subject has moved from my original question but I guess it's somewhat related:) this is the first time I've used a forum like this, are you based in Australia?
    I'm in Canada. :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 06:58 PM
    "Assed" must be something in the Canadian language which is not in American dictionaries. Perhaps it means they ordered you to pay a certain amount of child support. I would guess that they were not aware of the entire financial picture, including how much you pay on the mortgage. I suggest that you ask them to "re-asss" [extra "s" added to out-smart the forum filter] the case and give them the details.

Oct 31, 2013, 07:06 PM
    I'm in Canada. :)
    Long distance advice👍 that's pretty amazing :)
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
    Long distance advice👍 that's pretty amazing :)
    Worldwide advice. This is a universal site, you'll get people from all over the world here. :)

Nov 1, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "Assed" must be something in the Canadian language which is not in American dictionaries. Perhaps it means they ordered you to pay a certain amount of child support. I would guess that they were not aware of the entire financial picture, including how much you pay on the mortgage. I suggest that you ask them to "re-asss" [extra "s" added to out-smart the forum filter] the case and give them the details.
    Sorry about the typo, assessed is the word I was looking for, seems I made an of myself, thanks though..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlord gave me a 5 day pay or quit notice. Does that mean get out if I don't pay [ 6 Answers ]

If I don't pay in 5 days can my landlord come an make me get out or is there a court process. I live in norfolk va.

Mortgage in my mothers name but we pay the mortgage we want to add ourselves to deed [ 4 Answers ]

We refinanced with my mother we are not on the mortgage but we pay the mortgage she does not live here so we want to add our names to the deed she is very old now and we want to protect our interest!

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

View more questions Search