Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 15yearoldgirl View Post
    Absolutely nowhere did I say that you don't know anything? And yes, I also have been through this. Because I did so more recently and know children of this age, perhaps I am more aware of the type of relationship children of this age have? I am currently in year 11 (the last year of secondary/high school) and thinks have probably changed since 40 odd years ago.
    Funny that you make this statement as you have no clue how old I even am. Am I 17? Am I 27? 37? 47? 77? You have no idea.

Do I maybe have a kid in this age bracket? Do I have 2 kids?

You have no clue and you never will. I get that you're trying to help the kid...but so were we...and...YES, we do know more than you because life has taught us.

I'm done here now though, I have other things to do...like clean my dentures, wash my polyester pant suit, and listen to the old Victrola.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 15yearoldgirl View Post
    I just mean that there's no need to be so rude and insulting about it. Like you were to me? Yes I'm 15 but that doesn't mean that I'm immature and that my opinions are irrelevant. Perhaps the fact that I'm 15 means I'm more suitable to answer this question because I have a better understanding of children and their relationships? Are you aware that a sixth grade relationship isn't the same as an adult relationship? They're not going to be going on dates, kissing, or anything else along those lines. You said that I 'don't have experience and won't understand' yet clearly I understand better than you do.
    I didn't insult you. I stated facts. I didn't call you immature, but clearly you don't have the experience that others have. And no your being 15 does not make you more suitable to answer. It simply means that you are too close to the problem to understand it. You're right they are not going to go on what an adult, or even a teenager would consider a date. But most don't understand that. As I said, they are trying to emulate adult behaviors they are not prepared for. We had a question posted not too long ago from someone claiming to be 10 who told about her boyfriend undressing her and she wanting to have sex. So clearly you don't understand the problem better than I.

I will say it again, encouraging children to emulate adult behaviors is irresponsible.
    15yearoldgirl Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Nov 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
    Wondergirl stated how old she was, I wasn't talking about you. And age doesn't always mean wisdom. Why can't you look past the fact that I'm 15 and realise that it doesn't mean 'I don't understand it' but rather that maybe your age means you don't as you continuously seem to imply that they will be doing sexual things. In a minority of cases, this may be true, however the asker is more than likely not somebody who wants to undress somebody and have sex with them, so why blow this out of proportion? I don't agree with them doing things like that, I don't agree with them going on dates, but I really don't see why he shouldn't be allowed a girlfriend. It is perfectly normal in today's society. Please stop talking down to me because of my age, as I am probably just as mature and just as intelligent as you. (That doesn't mean that I think you're not intelligent or mature)

Nov 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
    I'm not going to get into a prolonged argument with you so this is the last post I will allow on the subject.

No I'm not implying that sexual activity is a given. But think about it, They can't go out on dates, so all they really can do is hang out. And after some time, sex will become an issue, And how do you know he's not likely to be that kind? Just as I can't know he is, you can't know he isn't. But even if it doesn't lead to sex, the likelihood of the relationship lasting is small and children that age are not as well equipped to deal with the emotions of breakups.

Why can't you look past the fact that I'm an adult so I can't know what children are like at this age. See that's where your whole position fails. Your view is totally one-sided. While it may seem that mine is, its not. Its just that I would rather advise children to remain children and not try to grow up too fast. I care about the potential problems that children can encounter if they try to grow up too fast. You don't seem to care about either.

And nowhere did I say you were immature or not intelligent. But that fact that you think so, helps illustrate that you are reading into this what you want to, not what I've actually said. You come across as pretty intelligent and mature for your age (Though the fact that you think you are just as mature and intelligent as an adult is telling) . But you have a blind spot here. You think its OK for children to play at more adult behaviors. Probably because you don't have the experience to see all the consequences of doing so.
    gator23 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 07:46 PM
    By the way I asked her out in text and she said yes and we are just going to be hanging out at school

Nov 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gator23 View Post
    By the way I asked her out in text and she said yes and we are just going to be hanging out at school
    Did you both get parental permission?

Nov 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Did you both get parental permission?
    No we are just hanging out at school and school functions

Nov 13, 2013, 05:18 AM
    No we are just hanging out at school and school functions
    Doesn't matter. You need to get permission from your parents, even for that. If you are nothing more than friends, that's one thing. But both your parents should know what you are doing.

Nov 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
    How to talk to your girlfriend
    Now that I have my girlfriend what should I talk to her about. By the way I'm 11 years old
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
    Ask her what type of barbie dolls she likes, what cartoons she watches, how she's doing in math class and English class.

You're both 11, you're not really boyfriend and girlfriend, you're just friends pretending to be grow up enough to date. So nothing really changes. Just talk about the stuff you talked about before. It's not like the two of you can actually go on a real date or anything.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
    How do you have a girlfriend if you don't know what to talk to her about yet?

That's not how it works... a girlfriend is like a regular friend that's an extra special friend. You get there by being really good friends first... meaning you will have already known what to say. And find out you have many interests in common.

As Alty said very well....at your age you will just be friends....as you get older you will understand better what we have told you. It might not make sense yet.....but it will in a few more years.

Nov 23, 2013, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How do you have a girlfriend if you don't know what to talk to her about yet?

That's not how it works... a girlfriend lis like a regular friend that's an extra special friend. You get there by being really good friends first... meaning you will have already known what to say. And find out you have many interests in common.

As Alty said very well....at your age you will just be friends....as you get older you will understand better what we have told you. It might not make sense yet.....but it will in a few more years.
    We'll we have been talking a lot and I have been talking to her abou her interests
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2013, 05:49 AM
    At 11, you are friends, playing like girlfriend and boyfriend, sorry, I know it feels special, but at this point, it is just friends

Nov 26, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Ask her what type of barbie dolls she likes, what cartoons she watches, how she's doing in math class and English class.

You're both 11, you're not really boyfriend and girlfriend, you're just friends pretending to be grow up enough to date. So nothing really changes. Just talk about the stuff you talked about before. It's not like the two of you can actually go on a real date or anything.
    11 year olds do not have Barbie dolls
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 26, 2013, 09:53 PM
    Tell that to my daughter. She's 11, and her and her 11 and 12 year old friends love playing barbies. Even some of her 13 and 14 year old friends join in. But hey, you're a boy. So what do you know?

Nov 27, 2013, 05:24 AM
    Right! In your vast experience you can make such a statement pfah!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to ask a girl out in sixth grade [ 4 Answers ]

I am a boy that is in all of the same classes as her and she notices me but I can't find enough courage in me or know that she likes me at all. Also I don't know what to say

16 years old and in sixth grade! [ 1 Answers ]

This year I took custody of my God kids who are 15 and 16 years old. The 16 years old is in 6th grade and the 15 year old is in 5th grade. This does not seem right to me. I had them evaluated and the teachers do not agree that they should be in those grades. Both of the kids have IEP. I have spoken...

Sixth Grade!? [ 16 Answers ]

Ok so I'm going into sixth grade and I am scared that I'm going to get picked on by older kids but eisenhower says that they are bully free but I still think that there's one lercking in the hall. Also can you give me some tips Thanks Kaitlin:)

View more questions Search