Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmadd118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Arrest warrant for child support
    I currently live in Texas and have a child support in order in Gwinnett county Georgia. Child support is taken directly out of my checks every two weeks. So I am not behind, nor have I missed any payments. I was recently pulled over in a routine traffic stop in Dallas. The officer advised me I have an outstanding warrant for child support in GA. How can that be if child support is taken directly out of my check?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Call and ask them. They make "mistakes" all the time.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Any number of ways mistakes can be made.

Call the judge's office, or the clerk of court. Explain the circumstances and ask that it be looked into.

If it cannot be resolved on such an informal basis, ask that you be sent a copy of the file. You will need to move to quash the warrant.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2013, 03:38 PM
    I'm going to take a guess here. In GA failure to support a child is a criminal offense. I suspect the child's custodial parent filed a criminal case of abandonment at the same time pursuing support in Family Court. The criminal warrant was never cancelled.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 01:10 AM
    Yes, failure to pay in Georgia is a criminal offense, and yes they put people in jail often.

It can be many things, the money is being taken out but not properly credited.

The correct amount is not being taken out.

You have an amount from before, that was never paid, and that is still due.

The women filed that you were not paying, for some reason,
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm going to take a guess here. In GA failure to support a child is a criminal offense. I suspect the child's custodial parent filed a criminal case of abandonment at the same time pursuing support in Family Court. The criminal warrant was never cancelled.
    In that case, OP should call the prosecutor's office and ask them to take care of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support subpoena/warrant [ 2 Answers ]

A person, who is not a Sheriff, has been trying to serve me with a Child Support Subpeona. If they are unable to subpeona me for court and I do not make the court date, will I than have a warrant?

A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada [ 12 Answers ]

If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?

If you have a warrant for child support n sc [ 2 Answers ]

And you live n another state does that warrant go outside of that state and you have no criminal warrants it's a civil case rite help

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

View more questions Search