Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 11, 2005, 08:41 AM
    "Minor" starter problem
    A few days ago, when I went to a shop to get my compression measured (on a Civic '90 DX), the guys told me my starter is spinning a bit too slow. On a side note, it takes at least 4-5 rotates to start the engine... something like "cg-cg-cg-cg-WOOOM". Now I'm wondering if this is something I could fix myself? Because the shop is asking 100$ just to take a look at it.

On a (second) side note, the car is maintained, oil is changed recently, battery is OK and so is alternator (measured it both using multimeter). Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, everything is recently changed and working fine. The car had this problem for at least 4 years now.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
    I would think if there was a problem with the starter, it would have gotten worse over 5 years. Work on the connections, making they are clean and tight both from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the engine. Always disconnect the negative terminal to the battery before working on the positive cable.

The connections inside the solenoid could be bad too, but harder to check. You could have somebody turn the engine over while you checked the voltage at both solenoid terminals. If it drops, the solenoid is bad and should be replaced.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I would think if there was a problem with the starter, it would have gotten worse over 5 years. Work on the connections, making they are clean and tight both from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the engine. always disconnect the negative terminal to the battery before working on the positive cable.

The connections inside the solenoid could be bad too, but harder to check. You could have somebody turn the engine over while you checked the voltage at both solenoid terminals. If it drops, the solenoid is bad and should be replaced.
    Yepo that would cause it :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search