Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melonn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Connecting 2 computers with 1 internet connection.
    I have 2 computers running on XP home and I have an internet broadband connection, I want to connect both computers to this connection as my first PC is already connected with DSL modem. Also I want to share my hard drives so I can access files on any of them. Please help me to setup this and with the stuffs required, I'd like to know how to setup these connections through wireless and as well as cables with complete settings and installations from starting till end.
    Thanks.

Do I seriously require Router or just LAN Cards will work out to setup 2 connections ?
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
    First you need at least one cable per computer, and the router has to have more than one port. Once you have figured that out, if you have more than one port, connect 'em to the router. After that I recommend that you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and give them different network names. Once that is done (if you chose to allow files to be shared) right-click on the hard drive or folder you want to share and click Sharing and Security. Choose to share the drive with any name you want, which the C:\ drive might already be shared, and adjust the settings to fit your preference. You should be ready to transfer files when done (if done correctly). You may have to restart your computer when done.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Like jham said, you need to purchase a broadband router, something like D-link, Linksys, Netgear, etc.

Choose one that includes a 4-port switch. With this router, you connect the dsl modem to the "WAN" port of the router. Your other computers connect to the LAN side, using standard ethernet Cat. 5 cables.

Now the router will route data packets to each computer accessing the internet, or each other's shares.

To use wireless, you need to purchase a wireless broadband router, again d-link, Linksys, etc.

Then you need a wireless network adapter. It can be an internal one, using a PCI slot, or an external one, using USB.

Wireless is more complex to setup, follow the instruction manual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two computers to company LAN using wireless connection [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with this, I am trying to figure out what I need to connect two computers to a company LAN using a wireless connection. Can anybody help me out?:confused:

Connecting Two Computers via Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am vignesh... I need foolproof method for knowing how to connect two computers in network via ethernet...

Direct connecting two computers [ 2 Answers ]

I want to connect my old computer to my new one so I can transfer files (especially my large e-mail files). My old computer has a modem connection and 2 USB ports. My new computer has a modem port, USB ports and Ethernet port. Is there a way to direct connect the two computers via either the...

Connecting Two Computers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I got a linksys router and it is directly connected to my computer wired and I have a laptop connected wireless well what I want to do it be able to access files between both computers through a network how would I set this up ?

Connecting two computers together [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, just wondering since my cd rom on xp is not working, IS there anyway that I can connect my old PC win 98, 4gb hard drive to my xp and use win 98 cd rom to install program on xp.

View more questions Search