Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanRegan0624 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2013, 08:48 AM
    US-Canadian Couple: Who files what re income taxes?
    I am in a similar situation. Married a Canadian in August; moved into her home in Canada and intend to reside here permanently (have filed for permanent resident status). My wife's a Canadian civil servant with no income from the US or anywhere other than Canada. I see where I have to file a US income tax return, which is fine. I also see where that has to be a joint return, which I guess is fine, too. If we file MFJ in the US, what do we file with Canada? My gross income is $196K (about $6500 of which is from consulting fees I billed my former employer after moving here) and her gross income is about $48,500. [Seems like this is a recipe for double taxation.]
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2013, 09:04 AM
    What 'similar situation' are you referring to? To make your question perfectly clear, please refer to the other you are referring to.
    DanRegan0624 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2013, 09:26 AM
    Sorry for the confusion. The "similar situation" sentence was pasted over from an unrelated post. Feel free to ignore it; the rest of the question contains all the pertinent facts.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2013, 07:55 PM
    I do not believe Canada has a MFJ option. Everyone files their own tax return.

How you file on the Canadian return has NO bearing as to how you file for the U.S. You CAn file jointly, declare your wife's income on the U.S. return and then either EXCLUDE the income using Form 2555 or claim the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116.

For YOUR income, you will file BOTH Forms 2555 and 1116, assuming the $196K in income is EARNED income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I complain to the Canadian Government about a Canadian Couple with no morals? [ 8 Answers ]

A canadian couple hit my car on Feb 14th in a grocery store parking lot above the left rear tire with their right rear bumper. We swapped information - they are from Ontario visiting for a month in Florida. I called them two weeks later asking for info. They now say "i'm not so sure it was our...

Canadian citizen with US income; spouse has Canadian income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me understand how to file my taxes (none of the online software, like TurboTax, TaxCut, etc... seem to be able to handle this proprely) I'm an H1 visa holder; I'm working and living in US since 09/2007. My wife has been living and working in Canada in almost all 2008 (360...

Canadian income question [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering accepting a position as a contractor with a Canadian company. I'll be working in the U.S. but being paid out of Canada. As a contractor I understand the rules around FICA, etc. but want to know if the Canadian company sends a 1099 MISC at the end of the year as a U.S. company would...

View more questions Search