Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krstnna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2013, 12:36 PM
    How do I Change my Child's Last Name to Mine?
    My son is 2 and has his fathers last name. His father rarely seems him and only pays child support when he's working which isn't long. I want to change my sons last name to mine. If the father agreed to it would we need to go in front of a judge? I have full custody of my son and his father is only allowed supervised visitations in which he never makes the time to see him. He goes 6 months or longer before he comes to see our son. I would really like to change my sons last name sooner than later so it won't be an issue as he grows up. PLEASE ADVISE..

-Questioning Mother-
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2013, 01:10 PM
    Yes, this is a legal issue (I moved your post to Children forum). To legally change his name requires a court order. And the father will need to agree to it, unless a judge decides to override the fathers wishes.

So you need to file a petition in court for the name change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change my child's last name to mine ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 10 year old boy he carries his biological fathers last name that he does not no, he has chose not to play a role in his life. My son is very close to my husband his stepfather he is asking us all the time about wanting to change his name. His biological father is nowhere to be found so Im...

Can I change my child's last name to mine? [ 1 Answers ]

Live in the state of Georgia. I'm not married and when my child was both, my then boyfriend was there and I put gave my child his last name on the birth certificate. I think it would have been wiser to give my child my last name since we were not married and the then boyfriend has never...

Wife won't change child's last name to Mine? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my wife won't change her last name or my daughter's last name to mine. Her excuse is that for her to change her last name it would be difficult because she has a business. I believe it is incorporated. She owns 2 houses that she rents out. Her excuse for not changing my daughter's is that...

View more questions Search