Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdrianCavinder Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Analysis of Seamus Heaney's District and Circle
    Hi. I am teaching Language Arts to students in Bangalore, India. I have one student that has taken up A Level Literature and has chosen Seamus Heaney's selection of poems in District and Circle as part of her course. As much as I enjoy poetry, I find his particular brand very complex, especially when it comes to teaching it to someone who has never been to England, let alone Ireland. And the student is obviously oblivious to the sectarian conflicts that engulf many of his poems. My question is whether anyone has face similar difficulties and whether you have been rescued by a particular book or website that has helped to analyse his poems thoroughly. I have visited the fawbie.com site, but I feel their explanations are insufficient and far too general to be effective for teaching purposes. Thanks. Adrian.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2013, 06:04 AM
    Seamus Heaney, by Blake Morrison?
    Many used copies on Amazon starting under a dollar. Shipping to India shouldn't be much.

Oct 23, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Many used copies on Amazon starting under a dollar. Shipping to India shouldn't be much.
    No, I'm afraid I am referring to the Irish poet, Seamus Heaney, and his collection of poems entitled 'District and Circle'. But thanks for the input. Cheers.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 08:50 AM
    joypulv has given you good advice --

"In recent years Seamus Heaney has earned the reputation of being `the most important Irish poet since Yeats'. Blake Morrison, in the first serious study of his career to date, identifies the central characteristics of his achievement, uncovering the sources of his poems, placing his work within both Irish and Anglo-American traditions and explaining his poetry's complex relation to the current political troubles in Northern Ireland. A lively, personal account by a writer who is himself a poet and critic, this book challenges some of the myths surrounding Heaney's work and places it in proper perspective."

Seamus Heaney (Contemporary writers): Blake Morrison: 9780415098786: Amazon.com: Books
    current pert

Oct 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
    It's a biography. I assume there is plenty of analysis too.

Oct 23, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    joypulv has given you good advice --

"In recent years Seamus Heaney has earned the reputation of being `the most important Irish poet since Yeats'. Blake Morrison, in the first serious study of his career to date, identifies the central characteristics of his achievement, uncovering the sources of his poems, placing his work within both Irish and Anglo-American traditions and explaining his poetry's complex relation to the current political troubles in Northern Ireland. A lively, personal account by a writer who is himself a poet and critic, this book challenges some of the myths surrounding Heaney's work and places it in proper perspective."

Seamus Heaney (Contemporary writers): Blake Morrison: 9780415098786: Amazon.com: Books
    Thanks so much. I have someone in Canada who can send me this book fairly quickly. Appreciate your help and assistance.
    current pert

Oct 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Gee...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Gee...
    If only OPs would read... (And I'm getting wow reviews on your response to my foundation question. Hope you're getting greenies on it.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I use cluster analysis or latent class analysis for my dissertation? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am testing the validity of model that posits why gifted students underachieve in school. There are three latent constructs: environmental perceptions, self-efficacy, and goal valuation. If students' attitudes are low toward any of these constructs, it is theorized they will lack...

Length of a tangent to a circle from a point outside the circle [ 1 Answers ]

Find the length of the tangent from a point 29cm away from the centre of a circle of radius 20cm

2002 sequoia Toyota Seamus engine light on [ 0 Answers ]

I have 2002 sequoia sr5. It has been very reliable until I hit this problem. The check engine light is on. I was told at the dealership that the code was for one of the catalytic converter. I was referred to a local muffler shop for the repair as Toyota indicated that their price was 1200 because...

How can I find the area of the inner circle and the area of the large outer circle ? [ 3 Answers ]

Joe's centrepiece is a simple but very effective use of two circles and Two regular hexagons rotated to give the effect of a medieval dial. The Radius of the inner circle is 10 cm, half the length of the sides of the Regular hexagon. AC is a side of one of the hexagons and BD is a side Of the...

How to shift the case from one district to another district? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in the year 2006.a female child was born in the year 2007.Now due to some misunderstanding my husband has filed case against me in his district.Now I am under the care of my parents along with my child.Now my question is I want to shift the case from his district to my district. Since...

View more questions Search