Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendie60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Can you tell which eye has the antistigmatism by my prescription?
    OD
    Sphere +1.25
    Cylinder -.75
    Axis 038

OS
    Sphere +.75
    Cylinder -.25
    Axis 115
    +225
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2013, 06:11 PM
    From: How To Read Your Eyeglass Prescription - AllAboutVision.com

"Cylinder (CYL). This indicates the amount of lens power for astigmatism. If nothing appears in this column, either you have no astigmatism, or your astigmatism is so slight that it is not really necessary to correct it with your eyeglass lenses.

Meridians of the eye are determined by superimposing a protractor scale on the eye's front surface. The 90-degree meridian is the vertical meridian of the eye, and the 180-degree meridian is the horizontal meridian.

The term "cylinder" means that this lens power added to correct astigmatism is not spherical, but instead is shaped so one meridian has no added curvature, and the meridian perpendicular to this "no added power" meridian contains the maximum power and lens curvature to correct astigmatism.

The number in the cylinder column may be preceded with a minus sign (for the correction of nearsighted astigmatism) or a plus sign (for farsighted astigmatism). Cylinder power always follows sphere power in an eyeglass prescription.

Axis. This describes the lens meridian that contains no cylinder power to correct astigmatism. The axis is defined with a number from 1 to 180. The number 90 corresponds to the vertical meridian of the eye, and the number 180 corresponds to the horizontal meridian.

If an eyeglass prescription includes cylinder power, it also must include an axis value, which follows the cyl power and is preceded by an "x" when written freehand.

The axis is the lens meridian that is 90 degrees away from the meridian that contains the cylinder power. "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My moms left side of face got swollen and her eye also blinks slow than the other eye [ 1 Answers ]

My moms left side of her face is swollen and her left eye blinks slower than the other eye. It just happened yesterday

Bull eye target,100ft away. If the speed is 500ft/s.how far below the bulls eye [ 1 Answers ]

Bull eye target,100ft away. If the speed is 500ft/s.how far below the bulls eye does the bullet strikes the target?

Will it harm my eye, I got sprayed by a stink bug in my left eye. [ 1 Answers ]

I got sprayed in the left eye and on my face today by a stink bug. I was extremely painful. I rushed and flushed my eye and removed my contacts. It is still sore all areound it and I don't know what to expect next. Should I see a doctor?

Eye prescription [ 1 Answers ]

So my vision is -2.25 in both of my eyes but I was wondering what this means in terms of 20/20?

View more questions Search