Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssjdbz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Converting 2-prong outlets to 3-prong
    I live in an old house were only a few of the outlets are 3-prongs. I want to change all the existing 2-prong outlets (as buying cheaters is annoying) to some GFCI outlets, but I have a problem.
    There are no light fixtures in the house, and all the light switches run the top slot on the outlets, which are all made for three plug-ins.

Ex: (imagine you are looking right at the outlet, but can't see the edges)

| l (Plug-in 1 (lightswitch))

| l (Plug-in 2)

| l (Plug-in 3)

(All my lamps run off the top plug-in)

Is it still possible to put in GFCI outlets with this setup without rewiring the whole house? And without an electrician?
    Or could I set up some of the GFCI outlets to run off the light switches as well?

Any help is really appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 04:50 AM
    I do not believe there are GFI receptacles that can be split for the purpose you need, to have one half hot and one half switched.

I assume you want to upgrade the 2 wire outlets to three wire, and there is no ground. Protecting the new 3 wire outlets with a GFI is allowed, as you seem to be aware of. Are you sure there is no ground in the box?

May be much easier to install a GFI circuit breaker to protect the entire circuit, which then will allow you to install the standard three wire receptacle, and split them at the switched outlets as needed. Just be sure to label any ungrounded 3 wire outlet with a label "No Equipment Ground".

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

Prong Collar [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who has gotten into a method of training that I do not approve of. I think that the prong is a mean and harmful way to teach the dog to do things and she will not listen because she thinks her way is best. I know this has nothing to do with dogs or sick dogs. I need help in...

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

Can I rewire a chandelier with a two-prong plug? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a chandelier that came with a two-prong plug. The store I bought it at told me I can simply cut off the plug, split the wires, strip them and then make the appropriate connections. While this is a reputable store, I am not convinced that this is safe. Please advise.

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search